General β€” TransplantLyfe

General

Holiday grief

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
December 26, 2023 in General

Anybody struggling with feelings of grief this holiday season?

let’s talk about it!

what are you feeling and how are you caring for yourself? How can we support you?

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Thank you for this post! I always miss my mom during the Christmas season. She passed away a few years ago. She always made it so special for my sisters and me. I have some of the decorations from my childhood. I always incorporate them into my current decor to keep those memories from all the years present.

I also try to make all the same baked goods that she did. I love keeping her memory alive. It helps me to continue to heal.

December 30, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I had one of the hardest Christmas’s not having my Dad w/me was so difficult even tho he passed 2yrs. ago, one yr. shy 1yr. liver transplant we were extremely close he was my support. We always put the decorations up outside I would put some up in the house he loved all the lights involved in the holidays. It was just the two of us and we would decide on our holiday meal and just enjoy.

I spent my first Christmas this yr. w/just me and my pup. I realized this was the new/different Christmas for me. I did put some decorations up a few things in the house in memory of him and my mom. My mom had passed b/f my TP, i miss her every day and thank god I was able to take care of her thru her long illness. It’s just not the same anymore.

2024 is right around the corner so grateful to start a new yearπŸ’šπŸ˜Š Happy New Year to each of you and your families. Stay healthy and live life enjoy every minute of it.πŸŽ‰πŸ₯³πŸŽŠ

December 30, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

I also miss my dad, more during the holidays. He worked a lot when I was growing up but he always took time to make Christmas a very special time. And he was born on New Years eve so his birthday and Christmas are hard. I like to think about the great times we had. Growing up on a farm holidays were a bit different. The animals all had to be fed before we could begin our traditions. I remember one year he brought me a white calf on Christmas Eve and when I went to feed that evening there he was. I was so excited. Named him Snowball. Such great memories. I miss them. But I’m still blessed to have my mom still with us and still enjoying everything she can about Christmas.

Wishing each and everyone a very Happy Healthy New Year!!!

December 30, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi Deb, Happy New Year! My Dad grew up on a working dairy farm back then we drank the milk un pasteurized. I can remember how hard my grandparents worked on that farm. My Dad worked 2 jobs so my mom could stay at home. Thanks for reminding me of the good memories.πŸ’šπŸ₯³πŸŽ‰

December 30, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

This is so important and I am lucky to have both my parents alive and healthy. However, I miss my young and healthy self during Xmas since it used to be such a happy time and for many recent years it just was not due to disease and worries. This one was much better since I got my new kidney in 2023, and having a young daughter helps distract from heavy thoughts.

i still have moments when I miss being able to do what I wanted and not be “damaged”…

January 3, 2024