Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Cancer/Chemo anyone

Slm75Transplant Patient
January 25, 2024 in Kidney

I'm alittle over 37 yrs out and the kidney is doing very well. But, about 18 yrs out I became drug induced diabetic from prednisone. They say being on rejection meds make us more susceptible to cancer. I had thyroid cancer 10 yrs ago, had it removed and doing well, just another pill aday. Now, I'm starting Chemo in 3 weeks for breast cancer and am scared to death. I've been assured that the chemo will be adjusted and won't harm the kidney. I'm going to georgetown University, the Lombardi Cancer Center in Washington, DC. Anyone else had chemo?

Tagged:

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• MHobdayTransplant Patient

I had Merkel Cell Carcinoma (MCC) which is rare skin cancer (Jimmy Buffett died due to MCC). I had rounds of chemo which did not harm my kidney. Unfortunately, MCC does not react to chemo well and I had to start immunotherapy which boasts your immune system to fight the cancer. At that point, the immunotherapy attacked my transplant and I lost the kidney and started dialysis. The great news is I have been cancer free for 4 years and I will be eligible for a another transplant in early 2025,

January 26, 2024
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Hi,

First, congrats to the 37 years! Interestingly, chemo will help vs hurt your transplant from being rejection. I truly hope the breast cancer will be treatable and both your kidney and your health in general will continue to thrive.

January 27, 2024