General — TransplantLyfe

General

When someone else has the same issue that you have….

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
Updated January 31, 2024 in General

When someone in this community or elsewhere has the same issue I have (eg @Melsamm and I both suffer from insomnia), I go between feeling reassured that I am not alone, yet sad for the person since I know how hard it is!

anyone else feel that way?

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Same @Karin . It helps me stay calm when I know what I am experiencing is "normal" for us in our community. And then I go into a mode of wanting to figure out a way to fix it for everyone so they do not have to go through the same thing.

It amazes me how strong our bodies are.

January 31, 2024
  • DebTransplant Patient

I haven’t slept well in the last 6 years, from when I was diagnosed til now. I just thought it was how things were supposed to be post menopause and with so much on my mind. I did ask my doctors about it after my transplant and they would only allow me to take 5 mg of Melatonin and it did nothing for me so I just deal with it. A good night for me is 4 to 5 hours. But it does make me wonder if it is yet another side effect to our meds.

January 31, 2024
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I find great comfort in knowing I am not alone and have someone I can confide in, but as someone who is grossly independent I also have a hard time confiding in someone else because I know their struggle is the same as mine, and its HARD. There is great success to having friends in your space, and I try and reassure myself that what they offer to me, I also offer to them; making it a great friendship. But, yes. Chronic Illness is more than just dealing with the illness, there are so many different ways it impacts every part of us.

January 31, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

A lot of my best friends have gone through similar life situations (like transplant) and I think having that common ground facilitates closeness in a lot of ways. I've also met remarkable people who can seemingly understand my experience without having lived it themselves, which I hope to also do for others.

While so many of us have gone through similar things, I think we all respond very differently. I'm perpetually fascinated by the common ground we all share, and the different ways that manifests for each of us.

January 31, 2024