General — TransplantLyfe

General

Mental health resources

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
February 1, 2024 in General

Last night in support groups we had a really fascinating discussion about mental health and the practices we use to both feel our feelings and move through them in a healthy way.

@Berriosa1234 mentioned taking a set amount of time to acknowledge his feelings and release them through something like screaming or crying. I personally am a huge fan of shaking.

for those asking the book we mentioned was the body keeps the score by Bessel vanderkolk (who I actually studied under!)

I’m wondering what practices you’ve found that help you process your emotions or regulate your nervous system as you deal with the stress of transplant?

Tagged:

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Thanks for sharing the book. I just added it to my list.

I like to acknowledge and sit with my feelings. It's ok to be sad or angry or scared. I like to do yoga or meditation to feel at peace with those feelings. Sometimes even a nice power walk helps with the anxiety.

When things get really overwhelming I just take one day at a time, or even one hour at a time. And focus on things that I can control.

February 1, 2024
  • Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

To continue our discussion about mental health i think that the physical release that i get once i either scream cry or laugh, it does help. releases interesting endorphins. Mental health for me has always been struggle for me being a preemie and learning how to compensate with certain things like executive functioning. I do like @Jeanmarie suggestions with using yoga sitting in and leaning in. Its important. I really appreciate this community. thank you for sharing

@Berriosa1234

February 3, 2024
  • Ldybug97Transplant Patient

The first few months after Transplant, I was very emotional. I had biweekly sessions with my therapist, but I knew I had to have an option when she wasn’t available. She has done meditation with me and I seem to really respond well to that. I also start my day off with my journal an affirmation. I also use quotes as a way of coping with my emotions.

This is the affirmation that has helped me the most. This affirmation is by Lisa Nichols who is a motivational speaker. I am here by design I now on my own light. I woke up enough. I am courageous. I am perfect in my imperfections. I am elevating every aspect of my life. 2023 gave me evidence of how strong I am.

February 17, 2024