Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Opinion on WHEN to educate?

fern22Transplant Patient
February 5, 2024 in Kidney

I believe medical professionals can begin educating about dialysis more when a patient reaches stage 3 CKD, in the case they are aware of their CKD well before reaching late stage or end stage.

Education would start with guiding the patient to better understand their lab work and what to look out for, especially as their disease progresses.

Another crucial aspect to this is providing support and reassurance in hopes to make the transition to dialysis less invasive, traumatic, confusing, scary, etc.

When do you believe is a good time to start educating about dialysis modalities and all that lifestyle entails? More importantly, when do you think patients are ready to receive this information?

1 - 2 of 2 Other Answers

• Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@fern22 good topic!

These are my personal opinions. ⏬️

I believe that when a patient finds out about kidney damage (hopefully early & not suddenly), they should be educated about the best treatment, transplantion. At this point, the patient could getting the word out & begin searching for a good kidney from a living donor. In most cases a pre-emptive kidney transplant (i.e. pre-dialysis), from a live donor is ideal!

Of course, simultaneously the patient should be educated & informed about dialysis & the differrent types etc.

If more people take their health seriously, and get regular blood tests and other exams, they will get detected earlier & then the hope & goal is for then to be transplanted BEFORE having to go through dialysis.

Thank you.

Best,

Sam.

February 5, 2024
  • fern22Transplant Patient

I agree, Sam! That is perfect world / most ideal! 100% Thanks for sharing.

February 5, 2024