General — TransplantLyfe

General

Chef Amanda’s Weekly Recipes

ChefAmandaTransplant Patient
Updated June 3, 2021 in General

As a chef I love sharing recipes and trying new things in the kitchen. I also know the different diet restrictions and changes we go thru during our transplant journey. So I wanted to sharing some of my recipes and some recipes I try from others in hopes to inspire or help others.

Please feel free to share some of your favorite recipes or foods that you love and have helped you.

Tagged:

1 - 30 of 54 Replies

• ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Grilled Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa

Grilled Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa

Ingredients:

For the spice rub:

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp cayenne

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp black pepper

For the fish tacos:

1 mango, peeled and diced

1/2 cup diced tomatoes

1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno

1/3 cup diced red onion

1 tablespoon lime juice

1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves

Black pepper

Coconut oil

1 lb halibut filet

1 tbsp of the spice rub

4 corn tortillas

1 cup finely shredded cabbage

Directions:

For the spice rub:

In a bowl, combine all of the spices and mix together with a spoon. Reserve one tablespoon of the mixture for the fish, and save the rest in an airtight container

For the fish tacos:

1) Combine the mango, tomatoes, jalapeño, red onion, lime juice and cilantro leaves and mix well. Season with pepper, to taste.

2) Heat a grill or stovetop pan over medium heat. Drizzle a light coating of the coconut oil over the fish and rub on the tbsp. of blackening spice. 

3) Cook the fish on one side untouched for 4 minutes. Flip, and cook the other side for another 4 minutes. Remove from pan.

4) Warm the tortillas and keep in a tortilla warmer.

5) Break the fish apart with a fork into bite size chunks. Divide among the warm tortillas.

6) Top with the cabbage and mango salsa. Serve with wedges of lime.

February 10, 2021
  • osideguyOther

Yum yum !

February 10, 2021

@osideguy Thank you!

February 10, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I was introduced to fish tacos by @lescp3 in Minnesota of all places - and now I love them! I try to get them when I am in SoCal and in Florida - seems to work there :-) I always use lettuce instead of wraps though?

February 10, 2021

@karin Lettuce wraps is a great substitute!

February 10, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

Sounds amazing. I will have to try this!!

February 10, 2021

@deb Let me know when you try it.

February 10, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda omg I love this! I found I’ve struggled so much with knowing what to eat and actually making meals (when I do I love it but I don’t even know where to start!) so this is amazing! I’m totally adding this to the meal plan for next week

February 11, 2021

@AliEm14 Yay! Please let me know how they turn out.

February 11, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I tried it and it was amazing!!! Thank you @ChefAmanda

February 15, 2021

@Karin Yay! I’m so happy to hear this.

February 15, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I will take a pic next time

February 16, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

We're making the fish tacos for dinner tonight! I'll make sure to document the process and send you the pics!

February 16, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda these were delicious. Please share more recipes!

February 17, 2021

@AliEm14 yum! I’m so glad your enjoyed it. I will be sharing more soon.

February 17, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Waiting ....

February 22, 2021

@Karin Sorry! I promise I will post a new recipe tomorrow. That snow storm last week set me back.

February 22, 2021

Blueberry Mango Smoothie

Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup plain, fat-free Greek yogurt
    • 3/4 cup fat-free milk
    • 3/4 cup frozen, unsweetened blueberries
    • 3/4 cup frozen mango chunks
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • splash vanilla extract

Directions:

1. Add all ingredients to a blender. Process until the mixture is completely smooth. If the smoothie is too thick, add additional milk. 
    2. Pour and serve immediately.
    February 22, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

YUMMMMMMMMMMM

February 23, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

OMG I know what I’m making! This looks delicious! I wasn’t able to have fruit pre transplant so now fruit smoothies are my not so guilty pleasure

February 23, 2021

Egg and Cheese Wrap:

Ingredients:

• 1 fat-free whole-wheat flour tortilla (warm)
    • 1/4 ripe avocado
    • 2 tablespoon tomatoes (diced)
    • 1 large egg white (scrambled)
    • 1 ounces Swiss cheese (low-fat)
    • freshly-ground pepper (to taste)

Directions:

1. Heat nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
    2. Add diced tomato and cook for 1 minute.
    3. Add egg white to the skillet and cook, stirring, until cooked through, 3-4 minutes. Season with black pepper.
    4. Spread avocado in center of tortilla. Place egg mixture on top of avocado and sprinkle with cheese.
    5. Fold tortilla burrito style and slice in half.

Serves: 1

March 3, 2021

Strawberry Lemon Blondies

Strawberry Lemon Blondies:

Ingredients:

blondies

• 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    • 3/4 cup sugar
    • 1 large egg
    • 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
    • 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour 
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1 cup diced fresh strawberries

glaze

• 1 cup, unsifted weight powdered sugar, sifted
    • 1 Tbsp strawberry puree you'll need about 2 large strawberries, instructions below
    • lemon juice about 1 Tbsp, or just enough to thin the glaze to a spreadable consistency

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350F
    2. Line a 9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper with long edges. (This will help you lift out the blondies for easy glazing and slicing later.)
    3. Mix the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg.
    4. When the egg is full incorporated, beat in the lemon juice. The lemon juice will probably not completely incorporate at this point, that's ok.
    5. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt, and add to the wet ingredients, mixing until no more dry flour is present.
    6. Gently fold in the diced strawberries. Spread the mixture into your pan and spread out as evenly as possible.
    7. Bake for 30-35 minutes, just until starting to turn golden around the edges and the center is set. A toothpick inserted in the center will be moist but not wet. Don't over-bake these, or they will dry out. Let cool on a rack.
    8. Trim the strawberries for the glaze and puree in a small food processor. Strain the puree through a small strainer to get 1 Tbsp of puree. Whisk together the sugar, puree, and lemon juice until no lumps remain. If your glaze is too thin, add a touch more sugar. If it's too thick, add more lemon juice.
    9. Spread the glaze over the cooled blondies. Let the glaze set before slicing.

Notes

• If you don't want to bother with the strawberry puree for the icing, just use lemon juice.
    • For a variation, try this with diced rhubarb, or a combination of strawberries and rhubarb. Or how about blueberries or raspberries.

March 10, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Ok my friend, I have a question (request?)

@ChefAmanda one of the things I’ve struggled with since my transplant is finding energy to cook. I’m a pop it in the toaster, microwave it in 2 minutes kind of gal. What do you have for easy, quick recipes? Or how to get more motivation to actually cook, and clean up, without feeling drained?

March 15, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

Following, I have the same problem plus I’m cooking for 2 very picky men. I only cook a few nights a week.

March 15, 2021

@AliEm14 @Deb I completely understand ladies. Sometimes I don’t have the energy to cook myself. I’m all about prepping ahead so if I’m having a low energy day I don’t have much work. Making simple dishes or one pot dishes help with less clean up.

Here are some tips to make cooking fast and easier. I will work on finding some simple recipes.

Tips:

• Try to prep meals ahead of time.
    • Season and portion out proteins when you purchase them. Then freeze the proteins prepped so they are ready for cooking.
    • Try recipes that say they take only 15 minutes, and you’ll be sure to have your meal on the table in 30.
    • Don’t shy away from frozen veggies. What they actually do is save you washing and chopping time.
    • You can freeze most soups and sauces after making them. Make extra batches of soups and sauces and let them cool on the counter. Then freeze them, so later you can just thaw, heat, and eat.

March 16, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

Thank you for those tips. I appreciate any help I can get. Once it gets warmer here I’ll do a lot of grilling. We do love grilled vegetables and meats and our son loves to cook for us. Recipes will be appreciated.

March 16, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Thanks @ChefAmanda I’ve been lucky that currently my husband is home and does a lot of the cooking but he’s starting back to work and more often than not I have no idea what to make. Or I have a day of inspiration flipping through cookbooks, plan cool recipes and then on the actual day I have no desire to make them. I’ll try prepping on my good days too to make it easier on myself.

and I second @Deb in the summer we love to grill here too!

March 16, 2021
  • lescp3Care Partner

SUCH great recipes and inspiration - thank you all for sharing. @Karin i love that I brought fish tacos to your life but even better...now you can make them. the magic of mangoes - yum yum (in these tacos AND your smoothy!)

March 17, 2021
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

Drooling! I love anything with lemon!

March 17, 2021

@lescp3 Thank you! I love mangos as well.

March 18, 2021