Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Creatinine Levels:

KevRTransplant Patient
March 29, 2024 in Liver

Hey everybody, hope all is well. Still learning a lot since my LT six months ago. My question is about my blood work. My creatinine levels have been high since surgery. They’re not too high. I’m averaging about 1.78 over the last 2 months. I have my 1st appointment with Kidney Dr this Tuesday. A, has anyone else experienced this n B, how alarming is this from a scale of 1-10?. Have a great day all.

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• MelsammTransplant Patient

KevR, that is not uncommon to be associated w/LTP my ran from 1.7-1.9 they also will keep a watch on your BUN/eGfR. sometimes u have to get fluids, the prograf/tac causes this. It’s hard on the kidneys. mine fluctuates just try to drink / keep hydrated most important.

Let us know what the Drs say.

March 30, 2024
  • KevRTransplant Patient

@Melsamm, thanks. Will do.

March 30, 2024
  • TheMacTransplant Patient

My kidney numbers have yo-young since before transplant. They were very bad recently and I was hospitalized for 4 days a few weeks ago. My team believes it was a perfect storm of low sodium, fluid restriction, not eating enough from severe nausea and vomiting a lot from the salt pills, a UTI and antibiotics. Saw kidney doc yesterday, not fun news. While my creatine is going down, was almost 3, they are not looking great. She said if my numbers don’t stabilize, I am going to be evaluated for transplant. A little scared right now.

they lowered my dose of tac and started Cellceft, not a fan at the moment. So every time I take my meds, I pause and thank the meds for saving my life. Trying to make peace with the meds that cause a lot of side effects.

Good luck KevR, keep being monitored, ask about diet or other lifestyle options to support your kidneys. You got this!

April 12, 2024
  • KevRTransplant Patient

@TheMac, thank you. Now of course I’m thinking of you. I hope you see improvement soon. You’re right though, the medications are basically a 2 sided story. Most thankful for the positive one. Keep us posted and on how you are doing. Hoping beautiful thoughts for you and all who are part of this group.

April 12, 2024
  • MattkidneyTransplant Patient

KevR,

I had creatinine levels of around 2.0 right after my first kidney transplant in 1994.

They stayed at around that level for almost 20 years. In my case, a slightly elevated creatinine was absolutely not a reflection of the kidney's longevity.

April 13, 2024
  • KevRTransplant Patient

Thanks for the info @Mattkidney.

How was your eGFr during these many years? Take care.

April 14, 2024
  • MattkidneyTransplant Patient

I concentrated more on my creatinine during the first 10 years or so. As my creatinine climbed into 2.2+ range and above, I kept a close eye on it as it moved into the 20s.

April 14, 2024