General — TransplantLyfe

General

Unsolicited advice

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
Updated June 3, 2021 in General

How do you all handle unsolicited advice? I found sharing my story on social media very therapeutic but the thing about it is suddenly everyone seems to be doctor google and is coming out of the woodwork to offer suggestions. I understand most people have good intentions but I also find it insulting (like do you think I haven’t thought of that? Do you think my doctors and I are just sitting here twiddling our thumbs?)

also people don’t really understand how transplant isn’t a cure, and there’s still so much to consider and it’s never as straight forward as it seems. I want to be kind and educate others on the transplant life but also i feel like it’s not my job as a transplant patient managing my transplant and post surgical complications to educate you. How have you handled situations like this?

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I agree and understand and I also want to strangle people sometimes! “Should you be eating that”? “Maybe if you do this, everything will get better?”.

but - most of the individuals giving advice really mean well...so it is hard to get angry but it is annoying.

what I do is to smile and say “thank you - let me think about it and let you know what I do next” or leverage your dr “thank you , I will check w my dr”

February 12, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin yes! I use the I’ll check with my doctor response frequently. Usually with a patronizing smile because I just can’t help myself.

most days I realize people mean well but sometimes it’s all just too much. Like where did you go to medical school again? How long have you lived with a transplanted organ?

February 15, 2021