Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Tacrolimus and hair loss

suezqTransplant Patient
April 17, 2024 in Kidney

Has anyone remained on tacrolimus and there hair eventually stopped shedding. If so how long did it take to stop shedding?

1 - 2 of 2 Other Answers

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

There are a few threads already started on tacrolimus and hair loss that might contain some helpful information for you - you can find those using the search bar on the right.

I lost a lot of hair immediately after transplant, and had extensions and wigs for quite a while. I'm still on tac, and while I might still lose a bit more hair than the average person it's nothing extremely noticeable anymore.

I switched up my haircare routine post transplant to try and combat some of that hair loss, which has definitely helped, and I think as my body got used to the meds and I got off a bunch that was a factor as well. I'm currently 4 years out, and I'd say the major hair loss stopped around a year and a half, with most of my major growth and actual growing out my hair again happening in the last 18 or so months. I love my hair now, but it was definitely a struggle to get here!

April 17, 2024
  • suezqTransplant Patient

I am 8 months out and at 4 months my hair just started coming out alot. It is still shedding alot but i do see new growth happening since i started 5000 biotin daily. I had very thick long hair before but i have lost about 70 percent of it. I pray it stops soon. Tacrolimus is doing good for me so far concerning the kidney just not my hair.

April 17, 2024