Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Stepping Out Again

SigEpSinfonian98Transplant Patient
February 20, 2021 in Kidney

Hey guys I am looking for tips/encouragement on restarting life while waiting for a transplant. I am gearing up to go to grad school and I am nervous because I left my job in youth ministry because I had a hard time juggling all of the constant doctors and dialysis with my work. Any advice? Super excited to be a part of what looks to be an awesome community!

Tagged:

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Welcome @SigEpSinfonian98 !! I was waiting for my surgery in 2009, but I was lucky to only be waiting for a couple of months since mine was a living donor (my dad). But I do know the feeling - too much on your mind and the physical symptoms are not easy to deal with. I urge you to try to focus on something to do - writing, communicating here and elsewhere - learning about the process and maybe taking up a hobby because otherwise it will be lengthy and too focused on the actual surgery! Are your on the list or are your looking for a living donor?

February 20, 2021
  • SigEpSinfonian98Transplant Patient

Thanks! I am on the list but I am also looking for a living donor.

February 20, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

How are you looking for a living donor? Relatives and friends? Random people? I wonder if we could make this process better in some way?? @JimGleason_TRIO @lescp3

February 22, 2021
  • SigEpSinfonian98Transplant Patient

I have relied on my friends mainly. Unfortunately no one in my family can't be a donor and my mom got a kidney donor around the time I was diagnosed. I really do wish this process was easier, or at least not so ambiguous. How have you tried to find a living donor?

February 22, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Hello @SigEpSinfonian98! My name is Amanda and I’m also waiting for a kidney transplant. I currently attend dialysis 3 days a week and it was difficult for me to find balance as well. I learned to schedule things on non-dialysis days or after dialysis. I make all my plans based on how I’m feeling. I learned I don’t always feel well after treatment and it’s okay to cancel or reschedule. I have been doing dialysis for 2 years now and I have a full life.

February 22, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Not a kidney but I spent a year and a half on the waiting list for my liver. I worked part time. I was really open with my job so I always had designated days off I used for appointments. And when I did work I only worked 5 or so hour days so after work I’d sleep. It ended up working ok for me (Covid hit in March and I got my transplant that August so I was already off work when it got really bad) and now I don’t think I’d ever want to go back to working full time

February 23, 2021