General — TransplantLyfe

General

Balance

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
Updated May 3, 2024 in General

I travel so much for work and it sometimes occurs to me that I am putting myself at risk, but if I didn’t do the things I love or the things that help me provide - what was the transplant (s) for?

i struggle with this question when it comes to other things too - balancing today w the future - living now vs worrying about tmrw…

ultimately it comes down to balance and good judgement I guess - assessing what is worth it to me considering he medical risks and the risks w feeling constrained…

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• Ldybug97Transplant Patient

Balance is the key. I was not able to participate in so many activities and events for the past six years. Now I look at the size of the crowd and always come protected. I go out alone many times. People say that I received my kidney and I just don’t sit still anymore. I tell him as long as I’m healthy, and God allows us these legs to move. I will move. Especially after sitting in the wheelchair for seven months.

May 3, 2024
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I thought of this this weekend as I had to decide whether or not I was going to attend an event. I ended up going, and it was this logic that was my determining factor. I didn’t get a transplant to live in a bubble. If I’m alive, I want to live big!

i did a risk/benefit analysis and in the end I felt ok with going and just taking precautions (I social distanced as much as I could, brought a portable air purifier and sanitized my hands a bunch)

obviously there are certain things I won’t do but for me it does always come back to that balance and I’m alive so where can I find that compromise and still do the things I want while ensuring I’m safe?

May 6, 2024
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Perfectly said, I can remember my TP surgeon telling me you have a new liver, your doing well, see you in 6 months now go live your life. That’s the whole reason we were TP we get our second chance at life💚😊 Have a great day peeps summer is almost here😎⛱️

May 6, 2024
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I struggle with this as well. I have had to travel more for work since I had my transplant. The most I have ever had to travel for work in my career. I have also made advancements in my career which are part of the reason for travel. It's important to me that I have a job I love. Not only for the financial aspect, the health insurance benefits, but also because it's important that my son see me as a member of the workforce and a partner of our household. Finding the balance is a real challenge. I didn't have a transplant so that my family and I couldn't live a fulfilling life. So, I assess what I think is worth it, and what isn't.

Being fiercely independent doesn't help sometimes either. Which is why it's key for me that I keep those who support me and my family apprised of the details when I do have to travel, or have a big event and need to think about the risks of that event and what could be the outcome in weeks to follow.

May 6, 2024
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I have been doing a lot of reflecting lately as I come to the end of the chapter with my current transplant. Sometimes I think I spent too much time the last 18 years working. But then I think about all the amazing things I have been so blessed to experience. Without work, it wouldn't have been possible.

It's like you said, it's all about balance. I think it's important to live like there is no tomorrow with a healthy side of worry. Being diagnosed with a chronic illness at 16, I have been struggling with the balance for 27 years. It seems to never get easier.

May 8, 2024
  • Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

Balance- While I was transplanted I too found that issue with finding that balance. As I wait for this second tx i learn to balance the fact that i continue to wait and do dialysis and continue to wait and balance the fact am i living my best life while i do this modality three days a week. balancing my quality of life while i continue to hang on, its not easy but its communities like this where i feel supported.

May 14, 2024