Kidney β€” TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Restart

SigEpSinfonian98Transplant Patient
Updated May 21, 2021 in Kidney

So I am getting ready to hit restart on my life after walking away from my career in youth ministry back in 2017 when I was diagnosed with kidney failure. To say I am nervous is an understatement. I am going to grad school for my masters in music. I know that time management is going to be critical but I figured I would lean on you guys to help me setup for success. Give me tips/encouragement!!

1 - 12 of 12 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

i love this! I also walked away from my career prior to my transplant and have decided I’m not going back. Pivoting like a pro over here! I’m also in the early stages so maybe I don’t have the best advice but I am definitely encouraging you down this path. Life is too short to not do what you love. One of the biggest things I’ve learned is flexibility. Sometimes stuff happens and you feel like crap and can’t get as much work done as maybe a non-transplanted individual would. Everybody has bad days, everybody needs a break sometimes. And your transplant doesn’t make you weak, it makes you badass. You are who you are, embrace all of it instead of letting it limit you

April 3, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Good luck and congrats to taking that first step toward happiness :-)

April 3, 2021
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

I am currently in my second semester of my Masters. I am taking it online and only 6 credits (2 classes) per semester. My advice, in which I learned early, is to pace yourself and do a little bit each night. Of course there will be some days you won't have the energy to do anything, but I try to plan my week of homework/studying with having a few of those days. I will admit, it is exhausting working 40-45 hours a week and then doing homework. Good luck and congrats!

April 5, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Nice! It is always incredibly brave and strong to start anything new in your life! It sounds really exciting! Just listen to your body. When you are tired go slower. But never ever give up on your goals and dreams! We are all always here for you if you need any continued advice or support!

April 14, 2021
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

I wonder how @SigEpSinfonian98 is doing these days?

Have others finally "hit the restart" button and then been able to realize their goals and dreams after having to put their lives on hold due to an illness/condition?

March 29, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

@Sdey0522 I’m also curious about this! I was able to go back to work as a speech therapist for the first time in a decade a year after my transplant. Afterwards, I got certified as a life coach and now run my entrepreneurial coaching practice full time.

April 5, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

That is so wonderful @Shelbycreates !! Congratulations & all the best for much success. πŸ‘

April 6, 2023
  • Howanitz39Transplant Patient

I wanted to hit the restart button when I was still at my transplant hospital when I talked to my surgeon he said that I did not have have this surgery to live in a bubble.I was a volunteer at a hospital but when I told my nephrologist he said he did not want me to go back to volunteering at the hospital so now I volunteer in the kitchen at our local hospice care center. My boss is very cautious about keeping the volunteer area very clean and sanitized for me because she knows I have no immune system.

April 6, 2023
  • kidneywarriorTransplant Patient

I'm glad to see so many of us are moving forward with our lives after "T-Day" - congratulations to all!

I received a kidney transplant in 2015, and I'm now back in the workforce. I proofread documents for a law firm remotely, which is how my corporate career began a loooong time ago, so I'm literally starting over in that sense. I work nights, which gives me flexibility during the daytime to volunteer or consult (which I do a lot of) or, of course, get some sleep.

But my "restart" actually began years before my transplant, when I decided that I wanted to try to get healthy enough to get transplanted. Since then, I've done over 200,000 pushups, completed in the Transplant Games of America (400-meter dash), and served in numerous roles with too many advocacy groups to name here. I can honestly say that once I was listed for a kidney, I didn't spend a single day waiting for my transplant because I was all-in on self-improvement and service.

May 2, 2023
  • jillralkeeTransplant Patient

I totally understand this!! I am trying to get back into the workforce after 1yr post and it has been a struggle but not letting it stop me! I had to put a job on hold due to dialysis making me sick and then couldn't go back to work after. Currently applying and interviewing for remote jobs so I think this will make it easier for me to manage my illness. I applaud everyone commenting on this thread you all are amazing!!

May 2, 2023

@kidneywarrior that’s incredible. I’m so proud of you! If you have any extra motivation, be sure to send it my direction. 🀣🀣☺️

May 3, 2023

@jillralkee yes, it took me a good year to get to a place where I felt good enough to be able to work again. You will get there!

May 3, 2023