General — TransplantLyfe

General

What heals you

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
Updated June 3, 2021 in General

I’ve been going back through old journals lately and I found a list I made shortly after transplant about things that were healing me. Not just physically but also healing my mind and heart.

things like physiotherapy, selfies, brushing my hair, being outdoors, music. now I’d add to that list things like content creation and design work, putting effort into getting dressed up, Sunday morning Disney dates (my partner and I have a tradition of brunch and watching a Disney movie/show on Sunday's. Now when he works on Sunday’s I have a date with myself!) and yoga.

I turn the question to you: what heals you? Mind body and soul?

1 - 17 of 17 Replies

• Care_massTransplant Patient

This is such a great exercise! I am terrible at putting my mind to what makes me feel good, but what a great reminder!

April 21, 2021
  • [Deleted User]Transplant Patient
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    April 21, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Going on a bike ride, listening to music and having date night with my boyfriend.

April 21, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Doublelung nature is a great healer. Though I’d much rather relax in the sun than exercise in it! i’m hoping as I continue to get stronger I’ll be able to move my body a little bit more

April 23, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda yes to date nights! Do you get all dressed up? I love that part

April 23, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 Yes, we dress up and make a whole night of it. It’s so fun and lots of laughs.

April 23, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

I’ve never really thought about it. I don’t take much time for myself I’m always doing for and taking care of others. I feel like I owe so much to the ones who took care me and stood by me the past few years. Guess that does help me heal.

April 23, 2021
  • TaylorCTransplant Patient

@Deb I completely understand what your feeling, I haven't even got my transplant yet, but I feel already like I owe so incredibly much to my friends, and family who stuck by me at my sickest. But one thing I've noticed, is that taking that time to yourself to heal mentally and physically is something that your loved ones will want most, because they want to see you succeed and I think that's a huge gift to give them on its own :).

April 23, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

Good point, thank you!! I agree they all want me to be successful with this transplant. I will find time this summer to do somethings for me. Hope you get your transplant soon, until then stay healthy and take care. Keep us updated!!

April 23, 2021
  • TaylorCTransplant Patient

@Deb absolutley will!:)

April 23, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Deb @TaylorC One thing I've noticed from my own experience and talking to other transplant patients is that if you don't put that work inward and are constantly focusing it outward on family and friends, it's like you recover but there's that missing piece. Inward work, focusing on the things that help me heal myself, dedicating time to what I want and need, it has made me a better wife and daughter and sister. It kind of reminds me of the oxygen mask analogy, where you need to put on your own mask before helping others. When I find things that help me heal and pour my time and energy into my own healing, I can then direct energy outwards instead of trying to pour from an empty cup.

April 26, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

What heals me? It’s May and it’s actually warm enough to be outside. I mental breakdown dyed my hair last night, which actually felt so therapeutic. Working with the babes I do coaching with.

and I saw a moose on the way to the hospital this morning. I looked it up and moose symbolize strength, pride in life and a mindset shift. (Also I’m bummed out there’s no moose emoji. If you’ve never seen one, look up how big they are. This one I saw was a baby but it was still far bigger than my car)

May 6, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Lately I’ve been tapping into my inner child. Being sick since birth, I realize how much she didn’t get a voice. Currently my favourite healing modalities include watching cartoons, licking ice cream cones and bursting into song and dance. Pleasure can be such a pathway to healing. We often think of healing as a hard process that may involve suffering but how awesome is it that we can also get there through pleasure?

May 27, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Exercise heals me / I notice how I dip into sadness and worry when I am alone and not working or with people who distract - and at those times if I can do exercise, the endorphins kick me back up!

May 31, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

This morning I took my car to the shop and decided to walk home (Maybe 15 minute walk). I had to get up early so I could get my car in and get home before I needed to take my meds, and it's been rainy here the last few days (which I'm living for!) so it was foggy and misty as I walked home. I took the path through the trees, stopping along the way to forage berries and flowers. I heard the birds chirping, everything was still quiet as no one else was out and about yet. And I thought to myself if this isn't healing I don't know what is. I'm going to try to make an effort to go for more morning walks in the rain. I'm also heading down to a local river this afternoon to get some one year transplant photos done. it all feels like a baptism, holy and sacred.

July 20, 2021
  • KARANTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 Sports, long ride with music & the most to saw My Crush❣

July 24, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Long brisk walks do it for me too @AliEm14

July 28, 2021