Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

First three months post transplant

Larry_MTransplant Patient
June 12, 2021 in Kidney

what are some ways that you occupied your time the first three months post transplant? I’m four weeks out from kidney transplant at Univ Cincinnati Medical Center.

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• Howanitz39Transplant Patient

I was at a hotel for a month after my transplant because I had to stay within 25 miles from the hospital, so I did a lot of walking the hallways. When I was able to go home and I was healed I was able to go swimming. I am still new from my surgery of both kidney and pancreas I will be five months on the 27th of June. I was told by my surgeon to live my life but still practice social distance and wear my mask. I am also planning on going back to volunteering. Best of luck to you and your new life.

June 13, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I also lived in transplant housing for my first 3 months. Besides attending doctors appointments and labs, I slept a lot, watched a lot of TV, walked hallways. I feel like for the most part my first 3 months I was a zombie. I also took pictures which helped with my creative outlet (even though some of them make no sense or are just of a random wall)

June 14, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Post transplant I rested a lot, lots of tv, reading books and walking outside for fresh air. I also go into cooking and baking to pass the time.

June 15, 2021
  • Larry_MTransplant Patient

Howanitz39

thank for your reply. I’m interested how you protected yourself in the sun, swimming and social distance at the pool (if public). Congratulations on your five months with a double transplant. It’s encourages me to hear what your surgeon said …

Aliem14 and ChefAmanda,

thank you for your replies. I’m trying not to be a zombie but this semi quarantine protocol for the first three months is not so much fun. I spend lots of time on our back deck under an umbrella. I haven’t gotten into a walking routine yet but average about 1 miles of steps a day especially on lab days. I can’t believe I actually look forward to lab days just to be around people. But I’m reading a book with a friend which gives me some structure. Other than reading the news…

thanks again!

June 15, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Larry_M that sounds great! Like you’ve got a good routine going!

I know you didn’t ask me but I’ve found so many sunscreens contain toxic ingredients. For me using a non toxic sunscreen is so important - I don’t want to subject myself to cancer causing chemicals in an attempt to avoid cancer

June 16, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 @Larry_M Well to that point we have to watch sun exposure because transplant patients are at higher risk for skin cancer.

We have a personal pool so I am lucky but I know for swimming a pool is better then a lake or beach because of bacteria. So I personally just do things in moderation, listen to my body and stay hydrated.

June 16, 2021
  • bsmeltzerTransplant Patient

I live at the beach, I wear sunscreen, I always have a hat on. They now make really wearable and breathable clothing that has SPF built in that helps a lot with the sun. My boss has Melanoma and that is all she wears now when she is out.

June 17, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@ChefAmanda i’m a heat intolerant person anyway so I’m rarely out in the sun 😂 I live where it’s winter 9 months out of the year and i much prefer that.

June 17, 2021