General — TransplantLyfe

General

Delta and vaccine

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
July 28, 2021 in General

It is getting scary out there again - sadly so! The delta variant seems to be spreading rapidly in our country and in Europe - also affecting vaccinated people. I know several people who are very sick with the delays variant who are fully vaccinated!

I am currently in Europe to visit family and do work, and the rules here are very varied from country to country:

in Sweden- no one is wearing masks, businesses are open (or at least those that are not shut due to summer holidays) and people seem to be living w the virus as if they are used to it - great one could think but not everyone in Sweden is as causal….

Among the old and the weak (on immune suppressants like many of us are here on TransplantLyfe for example) the attitude is different - they feel their country has betrayed them and “sacrificed” them for the financial health of the country as a whole. For example - anyone over a certain age - 70-75, could not even be admitted to the ICU during the height of COVId to preserve resources for the young and healthy. The old people’s lives were not worth spending money on when there needed to be a choice in the matter. Same goes for those with several chronic diseases independent of age. I am appalled at this policy and ashamed of my country.

another interesting fact - when you enter Sweden as a Swede- there is no need for a vaccination card or pcr test or anything really to document that you are healthy, and/or have antibodies! I guess Swedes don’t transmit or catch Covid??

in Monaco where I am right now, the policies are very different: masks are obligatory inside and outside / and you cannot enter a restaurant without a vaccination card plus your temp being checked. In fact, they test the entire population of this tiny principality every three months for antibodies and revaccinate those who are below the threshold levels deemed to be protective. Same principle as in Israel in fact.

I wish I could be tested every three months for anti spike antibodies - and in fact - I will ask my nephrologist when I return if I can!

in the meantime I am masking up - independent of where I am in the world and I am constantly

carrying my laminated vaccination card!

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Where I am (Canada) our numbers are still relatively low. My province is completely opened up now, but I personally still take a ton of precautions.

my team refuses to test me for antibodies, as does my GP, due to there not being enough information around how many antibodies is enough… I’m just living life as if I was unvaccinated.

July 28, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

There are tests to show antibodies - even levels and algorithms have been developed as to how much is protective…

July 28, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin apparently not enough for my doctors. They won’t order it. I’m not going to push for it. It’s not going to change how I live my life anyway

July 28, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin a couple other patients from the same centre and I think they won’t test us because if they encouraged us to get vaccinated and now there’s a big chance we don’t have antibodies it will make them look bad. Which maybe it is. I hate the political side of medicine sometimes. All I can do is just keep doing what I’m doing and making decisions I feel are best for me

July 29, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Good choice @AliEm14 but as patients we deserve to be treated with respect and be given facts

July 29, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin absolutely. This is one of those things where I trust myself more than the doctors. Pick my battles 😅 ultimately I’m the authority on me anyway

July 29, 2021
  • TaylorCTransplant Patient

"Ultimately I'm the authority on me anyway" I absolutely love that 💕 @AliEm14

July 29, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

So crazy how every country is so different. Stay safe everyone!

July 29, 2021
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

I would love to see that data. I've been researching and have found no specific level of antibodies that is the accepted number for protection against the virus. Please share if you have info!

August 2, 2021