General — TransplantLyfe

General

The lucky ones

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
August 25, 2021 in General

For me personally, it’s been an entire year of living with my transplant. A year full of ups and downs, learning to live with this new reality, accepting that the reasons for transplant I had before will never be gone and that despite limitations there is still a beautiful life before me. I was sitting in the lab about to get my blood drawn when the man beside me began talking to me. He told me he was also a transplant recipient and he too had lived a life where at times he’d seen doctors and nurses more frequently than his own family. And then he leaned towards me and smiled, “We’re the lucky ones, though.” I thought about this encounter throughout the remainder of the day, this concept of being lucky. There are so many times being shuttled between blood draws and MRI’s and phone calls with a coordinator that I don’t feel lucky. I just want to live the life of a normal 20 something individual, is that too much to ask? But as I thought about it, I realized I am lucky. I received an organ, while so many die on the waiting list. I have an amazing support team, even though I’ve lost people along the way.

(Also in case you wanted to see I hiked this mountain this weekend. One year post op. Definitely felt like one of the lucky ones doing this)

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• SigEpSinfonian98Transplant Patient

Looking forward to this one day!

August 25, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

I too am a lucky one and often I forget just how lucky I am. I’m a year and 1/2 post transplant and am still so grateful for my support team both in and out of the hospital. Again thank you for the reminder.

August 25, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Love this! A wonderful reminder ♥️

August 25, 2021
  • RogerTransplant Patient

I will have one year post transplant in September. I have also experienced the ups and downs of a transplanted organ and I have had the greatest care from my team of doctors and nurses. They always make me feel positive about a situation when I leave their office. I have never questioned getting the transplant and am great full for every day. I was 70 when I got on the list and never thought I would receive a kidney because of my age but I stuck with all the yearly tests and did everything they requested and 4 years later here I am with a new lease on life.

This Saturday my wife and I will be celebrating our 50th anniversary and gratefulness doesn’t begin to describe what I am feeling.

August 26, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

you'll get there! It was the most amazing experience. I look forward to going farther and farther, on bigger and bigger mountains, every year.

August 26, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Congratulations! My husband and I are celebrating 5 years this year, so hearing stories of couples who have made it so much farther than we have is so encouraging. And congratulations on nearing one year - that's a huge accomplishment!

August 26, 2021
  • PoisonRose21Transplant Patient

My journey will pale in comparison to you guys and gals.

I'm only about three months post-transplant. I already have been informed that I have signs of bone disease, I'm dealing with all sorts of blood abnormalities (had a WBC count of .99, and my neutrophils dropped to .34 I was considered critical and now my red blood cells are showing as abnormal too). It kind of freaks me out, but I know my care team is doing the best they can to get my number back up to"transplant normal" and keeping me informed about the things going on and what we can do to help solve it. It gives me piece of mind knowing things will get better and levelled out in due time. I'm still in "transition" from my pre-transplant to post-transplant. Things will get better.

August 31, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@PoisonRose21 it will get better! My beginning was so rocky too. It wasn’t until almost 9 months that things started getting figured out. I know it’s hard - hang in there and know my inbox is always open ❤️

August 31, 2021