General — TransplantLyfe

General

No vaccine - No transplant

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
October 8, 2021 in General

1 - 18 of 18 Replies

• DebTransplant Patient

I can understand both sides. Hers are freedom of choice and the hospital wants protect their staff. Lord only knows how many people come in contact with a patient undergoing a transplant and during their recovery and if they had covid , oh what disaster that would be. Glad it’s not me making that decision either way.

October 8, 2021
  • ShowtimeTransplant Patient

Surprised it took this long to initiate that requirement. Organs are scarce and are given to those with the highest rate of survival and if you have a risk of dying from Covid why should the organ go to an individual who will be immunocomprimised.

October 8, 2021
  • VeggiePoweredTransplant Patient

She wants to remove the doctor's/hospital's choice if they perform transplants on unvaccinated patients while defending her right to choose to be unvaccinated. Wonder if she knows the definition of Hypocrisy?

October 8, 2021
  • SharonTransplant Patient

She's exercising her freedom of choice. Good for her. She chooses not to get the vaccine. The hospital chooses not to give her a kidney. Seems like both are exercising their freedom of choice. This isn't any different than for alcoholics having to be alcohol free for six months before they qualify for a liver. Or for people having to lose weight to get to a certain BMI before they can be transplanted. Or for all of us having to go through so many tests to make sure we are healthy enough to receive a transplant and to thrive afterwards. A lot of people are taken off the list for a number of reasons. Her reason for being taken off the list are through her own choices. You make a choice, you live with the consequences of that choice.

October 8, 2021
  • LivCare Partner

Agree w all of you - her decision and why should other people suffer because of her unscientific view of life?

October 8, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Sharon i agree. I had to be vaccinated for everything under the sun before my transplant. Transplants have always had strict guidelines - organs are scarce and they want the recipients to have the best chance of survival

October 9, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Everyone has great points and I agree as well. That is her choice to not be vaccinated and their choice not to list her.

October 10, 2021
  • Having worked under the per view of CDC performing communicable disease prevention, intervention, investigation and care I am perplexed, angered and disappointed by their decision. I am ashamed of a system that allows others to die based on failure to take a man-made vaccine with little research proving safety and effectiveness to date; no FDA approval (only approval for emergency use) to determined safety or accountability; proven unreliable and invalid stats/test results in many instances, and no real chance of danger to those performing the surgery and providing care if the recipient has no symptomology and receives PCR testing prior. If they are basing refusal on possible contraction of COVID by the recipient and decreased life expectancy, they are basing that decision on faulty science while demonstrating tyranny instead of freedom.

October 10, 2021
  • VeggiePoweredTransplant Patient

@ DonorMomMary

You express many feelings/opinions but you never address the hypocrisy of refusing the hospital/doctors choice while insisting others get to choose. Tyranny is what you describe. Where either citizens or doctors are forced under threat of arrest or physical harm if they refuse to do what the opposition desires.

October 11, 2021
  • If they have no symptomology, and PCR test prior to surgery, and throughout the process as necessary, there is no threat to anyone from a negative person. If there was any danger or risk, I would tend to agree with you. Picking and choosing patients based on belief and not actual risk is bias not an exercise in freedom.

October 11, 2021
  • @Sharon

Your response makes much sense and it’s good to hear valid discussion from another perspective. Though our perspectives may differ, you have helped me see some of the opposing reasons for their decision. Thank you

October 11, 2021
  • I completely understand the requirement from the hospital to have vaccination prior to organ donation and reception surgeries. For one it is put in place to protect the staff and vulnerable found within the hospital, common sense in my mind really. And another comes from the idea that you want to give the recipient the best fighting chance, if you are able to develop some sort of protection prior to being immunosuppressed why then would you not take it? At this point it isn't all about preventing the spread, that's only part of it. The other half comes from giving the recipient the best chance after surgery. I'm all for freedom of choice, but that freedom needs to go both ways

October 11, 2021
  • Your argument is valid based on the premise that the vaccine is effective. I truly feel there has been little true statistics and research to validate that premise to date and there is potential to do more harm than good. I pray I am wrong. I too agree with choice on both sides versus mass mandates. The definitive tragedy is that these are life and death decisions ❤️

October 12, 2021
  • TaylorCTransplant Patient
    October 12, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@DonorMomMary i had a lot of those same feelings. A friend of mine is a vaccine researcher and I asked him a ton of questions prior to getting the vaccine. I felt completely safe and empowered doing so. But for me it was never I trust public health it was always I trust Thomas, I trust Malcolm, I trust Rahima. My personal connections with the medical field largely aided in my decision making

October 12, 2021
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@DonorMomMary - I hope you and those around you are fully vaccinated. Thank you.

October 12, 2021
  • Sdey0522, AliEm14, Karin

Thank you for you comments and the information/articles, I’ll read them!

October 12, 2021