General — TransplantLyfe

General

Book suggestions based on what I'm currently reading

Updated October 20, 2021 in General

As many of you may or may not know, I am currently going to university for a degree in English meaning that I read a lot of books. So from the stack that I have already completed I feel it would be nice to recommend some to you folks.

1. The one I liked the most out of my readings is The Long Song by Andrea Levy. The book follows a slave girl in Jamaica who goes through life from slavery to freed and all the stories in between. The story is super well written and gives a very solid example of what it may have been like to be a house slave during the time and the realities of the time. Definitely recommend!
  2. Another book I surprisingly enjoyed was Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. While it was a super short read it was densely packed with information. The book showed the gross realities of the scramble for Africa not just for the natives of the Congo (where the book takes place) but for the "explorers" as well. It pairs really well with the movie Apocalypse Now which is loosely based on the book. Would definitely recommend them both!
  3. Finally the last book is quite a bit different from the other two books I mentioned. It's called Stewards of Eden by Sandra L. Richter and it talks about the role of Christians in caring for the environment and the whole of creation. I read this for my theology class and was it ever eye opening to see the environmental disasters that we as humans are causing in the name of convenience and how it is the role of Christians to care for the whole of creation and what we might possibly do to change the course in which our planet is going. Absolutely amazing read and would highly recommend this book!

For the month of October these are some of my favorite books that I've read and I'm looking forward to seeing what else I get to read in the coming months. Let me know what y'all have been reading!

Tagged:

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

• brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

I am currently reading:

No Cure for Being Human by Kate Bowler. It's a memoir and she writes about her stage 4 cancer diagnosis and things she's learned. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Self-Compassion by Kristin Neff. It's hard for transplant patients to love themselves through all the changes, and this book really helps explore that.

The Boy Between: A Mother and Son's Journey From a World Gone Grey by Josiah Hartley and Amanda Prowse. Such a good read. Written by mom and son about the son's depression and how they lived it and learned about it. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

October 20, 2021