Pancreas — TransplantLyfe

Pancreas

Stomach and GI issues with Medication— Myfortic or Tacro?

brandonmTransplant Patient
October 28, 2021 in Pancreas

the biggest side effect I have is related to my digestion. Doctors have ruled almost everything out with tests after tests, but I am always extremely and painfully bloated, have to run to the bathroom often, and what I eat doesn’t change how my digestion reacts to food. The transplant team even changed out the myfortic to see if it helped, which it mildly did, but I went into rejection and had to go back onto myfortic.

Now it’s a matter of quality of life and just trying to help. I am currently taking Viberzi to help slow down my digestion and prevent the running to the bathroom not to have an accident, but it doesn’t make any big changes.

So, do you have any recommendations? Have you tried something that made a difference? Who helped you the most? Any information is helpful! Thank you :)

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I have the opposite problem, my digestive system is painfully slow. They did a gastric emptying study a while ago (pre transplant) and I was diagnosed with gastroparesis. Which now obviously affects my diet and the rate I’m able to absorb my meds post transplant. They changed my tacro to a slow release, which helped from the lab side of things in preventing rejection.

i’m also on a probiotic and a digestive enzyme. They also put me on paroxetine for a while and it mildly helped but not enough to make it worth it with the side effects I had. I still have it to use if necessary but I try to avoid it.

October 28, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Oh I have similar issues! I’m currently trying to get in with a GI doctor to get more help. We have tried changing my meds and added probiotics but no relief.

October 28, 2021
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I had major GI problems. The doctor took me off Myfortic. Helped a little. Then started taking Probiotics every day. It took about a week or so for the Probiotics to start working. They are not all created equally either. I also decreased my fiber a little and no processed foods. Those were the changes I made about a year ago. No problems for almost a year.

October 28, 2021
  • brandonmTransplant Patient

Good to know!! The struggle is real. I should have mentioned the digestive enzymes and probiotics that I am on as well. I have an appointment with a new GI doctor next month. Curious to see what they have to say

October 29, 2021