Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

How are you coping during the COVID-19 pandemic?

meghansmithTransplant Patient
November 14, 2020 in Liver

Are you keeping busy? Feeling isolated? Have any tips for things to do to stay occupied or keep your spirits up?

1 - 25 of 25 Other Answers

• saltywoman65Transplant Patient

I go back and forth between doing well and then feeling isolated and frustrated by what is going on. Having most of my family and friends in different states it’s hard being separated from them. Now that it’s almost Thanksgiving and Christmas it’s giving me something to look forward to!

November 20, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

@saltywoman65 l feel you - I love the holiday season, but it’s hard not seeing family and friends for the holidays! My transplant was in December last year so I was hoping for some normal holidays this year. Hopefully with the seemingly successful vaccines we’ll see some sort of normalcy soon!

November 20, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I have accommodated to this new reality by moving to the country from nyc and spending most of my time working and playing w my daughter! Not so bad but sometimes a little lonely

November 21, 2020

@Karin that's a big change! How are you adjusting from city life to country life? I definitely relate with the loneliness sometimes, but it's also nice that we're getting to spend some extra time with family that we may not have normally had!

November 21, 2020
  • lescp3Care Partner

To me, I try to appreciate the silver lining of these odd times. More time with close family (the ones w live with) and a bit of flexibility working from home / no commuting to the office. But that loneliness does creep in, and I guess we just need to recognize it and reach out (even if via zoom) to find those friends we might not normally “see”!!??

November 21, 2020

@lescp3 Very true! I have connected with some friends during the pandemic more than I had during "normal" times - makes you wonder why we never Zoomed regularly with long distance friends/family before! :)

November 21, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@meghansmith that so so very true! I have never really used FaceTime in the past and now I zoom all day and when I speak to family or friends it is mostly w video - in fact, I feel almost more pressure to be on, look nice etc now than before!

November 21, 2020
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I got my transplant during the pandemic, so it's been a crazy world. I'm currently studying to be a death doula, and taking classes in trauma healing and wholeness. And of course dealing with post transplant side effects, sleeping all the time and trying to get my steps in by pacing circles around my house

November 22, 2020

@AliEm14 I can't even imagine receiving a transplant during these crazy times! That's great that you're able to take classes to help occupy your time, and I definitely can relate to the sleeping all the time and trying to find ways to move within the house! I'm turning my basement into a "workout area" since I don't feel comfortable going to the gym or in person classes, but know how important exercise is.

November 22, 2020
  • mikemTransplant Patient

I see almost no one, and I live in a big city. It's been challenging, so I'm thankful that I have my sister. She lives relatively close to me, and she's in "my pod" I guess, so she's the only one I see without a mask. She is super careful because she knows how at risk I am. She delivered groceries to me in the early phases of all of this.

November 22, 2020

@mikem That's nice that you have your sister close and that she delivered your groceries! My dad is also super careful and in my "pod" and was delivering groceries to me in the beginning as well! :)

November 22, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

You are both lucky to have family close by! In the beginning Liv and I were pretty much alone together with out nanny and her 14 year old daughter - I ventured out to buy groceries for all of us!

November 23, 2020
  • lescp3Care Partner

Hi! I am curious...are you going to do Zoomgiving with family/friends from afar or how will you celebrate?

November 23, 2020
  • lescp3Care Partner

I agree completely - zoom is our greatest "gift" of covid :)

November 23, 2020

I'll do skype and zoom with some family. Only one I'll be spending the day with is my sister, since she's in "my bubble" or "pod", whatever we call it now. Definitely will be weird, but better to be safe is what I think.

November 23, 2020
    November 24, 2020

Anyone planning to change their plans for the upcoming holiday season and new year?

December 16, 2020

Last year I spent Christmas/New Years in the hospital right after transplant, so as much as the holidays will be different this year, I'm still grateful to be spending them at home. I plan on celebrating just with my immediate family, and will probably zoom with extended family just as we did on Thanksgiving.

December 18, 2020
  • eburfordTransplant Patient

HI there! Anyone far out from transplant? Im 10 years post and sometimes I forget I need to be careful. I live so normally most of the time, this pandemic has been a humbling wake up call to the reality that I'm not invincible like I usually act that I am! HA!

January 12, 2021

Has everyone taken @JimGleason's vaccine poll? Will be interesting to see everyone's responses in one place! https://www.transplantlyfe.com/discussion/85/covid-19-vaccine-intentions#latest

January 21, 2021

Hi @meghansmith sounds better this year,

I just took it. Missed it, sorry. Seems only 7 votes?

January 21, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

How are you handling work and being immunocompromised? I’m 6 months out and do not feel safe at all going back to work. In my previous career working virtually isn’t an option and also the job market during this pandemic isn’t great, with virtually nothing for work from home. What is everyone else doing?

February 9, 2021

I'm very fortunate to have a job that allows me to work remotely full-time. If I didn't, I would reach out to my transplant team for a note of some sort explaining why going into the office would not be safe for me.

February 16, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

This is what I ended up doing. I'm currently looking for something that will allow me to work remotely but there's not a ton of options where I am. I have leave now up until June, at which point if its still not safe for me to work, I will request another note and file another claim. I just had to fight so hard to get it covered, and was treated horribly by the government when I said it was unsafe for me to work, and it's just frustrating to deal with Covid and people who don't understand on top of a transplant (Also if y'all know of any non place specific remote job opportunities, let me know!)

February 17, 2021