General — TransplantLyfe

General

Sleep

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
January 21, 2022 in General

Are you struggling with sleeping?

Both falling asleep and staying asleep.

What in particular is preventing you from getting a good nights sleep and what do you do to succeed?

1. Sleep7 votes
    1. Yes
      71.43%
    2. No
      28.57%

1 - 10 of 10 Replies

• Transplant314Transplant Patient

Most nights I am able to sleep. Watching TV can keep me up. That said, I even with sleep I do not wake up rested and invigorated. Not certain what to attribute this to.

January 21, 2022
  • DebTransplant Patient

I haven’t slept all night in years. I thought most of it was the uncertainty of my transplant but I’m 2 years post transplant and still rarely sleep more than 4 hours. I was thinking meds and age were the causes. I’m open to advice.

January 21, 2022
  • A_RayTransplant Patient

Mos def the prednisone. I am 5 yrs post. Luckily, I am retired so I can sleep in or nap. And, I drink a lot of water for my kidney health (liver/kidney). If I am desperate - which is not that often - I eat a low dose THC gummy and sleep like a newborn baby, but it is hard to wake up alert. Exercise during the day helps, too. Sleep is important to your health.

January 21, 2022
  • StephenCFTransplant Patient

Yes - trouble falling asleep and then staying asleep. I have been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea so there's that + litany of transplant medication, so not surprising sleep would be difficult.

Things that help? The bed and by extension your bedroom should be used for the two s's, and that's it. Take the TV out. If you're having trouble sleeping and you're in bed already, get out and go to a separate room until you're actually tired. Try not to drink too much alcohol before sleep either.

When I'm not taking melatonin I take ambien and the ambien is definitely legit. Lights out. But once you're up, you're up.

January 21, 2022
  • TupastOther

Someone told me that fighting kidney desease is a lot of work. I have found it to be nothing compared to getting a good night sleep. I am on PD dialysis every night so I go to bed a 9pm, in order to get done by 7am. So there is the noises the cycler gives off. Or my insulin pump beeping away. With all of that I may get 4-5 hours of sleep, but not continuously. More like a hour here and a hour there. Thusly when I get up in the morning, I feel like I’m ready for bed. It Sucks.

January 21, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I sleep great now! Pre transplant I was waking up every 2 hours during the night to take meds. For years. I honestly think so many of my other medical issues came from not having slept.

I still find I don’t have, or enjoy, a typical sleep schedule. If I set my ideal schedule I’d sleep for 5 hours at night, be awake for a bit, have a few hour nap and then be awake again. Naps are still my preference, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. My body seems to naturally turn off around midnight and wake up around 6 but I try to keep a routine of being chill and resting the few hours before/after I know I’ll fall asleep

January 22, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I had difficulties sleeping pre transplant and I think kidney disease clearly makes you antsy, restless legs and aches and pains… fatigue of course sets in but doesn’t always translate to sleep unfortunately

January 24, 2022
  • I used to struggle a lot with the falling asleep part, but I started using a sleep spray that has been helping immensely with that! I still have issues staying asleep and find myself waking up every couple of hours at least, so I find myself unable to get a good nights rest no matter what I do

January 25, 2022
  • DonnyCTransplant Patient

I could sure use some tips because I have the absolute WORST time with sleep. Pre-transplant, I could sleep anytime & anywhere on-command. Now, I celebrate if I can sleep 6 hours straight without waking. I've tried various doses of Ambien, Lunesta, Unisom, supplements with inconsistent results. Would love to learn of any nightly routine/natural supplement combo that would work. Lately I've tried an essential oil that seems to help get me to sleep at times, but doesn't help in staying asleep.

January 25, 2022