General — TransplantLyfe

General

Xenotransplantation, or animal to human organ transplant

A_RayTransplant Patient
January 21, 2022 in General

There has been much in the news lately about Xenotransplantation. Also, known as a heterologous transplant. It is the transplantation of living cells, tissues, or organs from one species to another. Such cells, tissues, or organs are called xenografts or xenotransplants. It is contrasted with allotransplantation, syngeneic transplantation, or isotransplantation and autotransplantation.

The University of Alabama/Birmingham has recently conducted successful pig kidney and pig heart transplants.

What are your thoughts on this trend? It could be a game-changer amidst the shortages of available organs from human cadavers. Would you receive an animal organ to save your life or suggest it to a loved one?

https://www.uab.edu/news/campus/item/12566-uab-announces-first-clinical-grade-transplant-of-gene-edited-pig-kidneys-into-brain-dead-human

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• TupastOther

I said this several times, “I would not hesitate for a minute”. Most of us will eat pork, why not use the organs to sustain life. Bring it on I’m ready.

January 21, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@A_Ray - yes, #xenotransplantation is a game changer & research on this topic has been ongoing for a long time. I hope it works! 🤞

@Tupast & @JimGleason_TRIO I agree with both of you!

If I was faced with death, and the only option available to me was to accept an organ via an experimental surgery - I would sign on the dotted line to give my full consent.

Sharing an article from over 25 years ago

➡️

January 21, 2022
  • Alalleycat2Transplant Patient

Yes, most definitely! We already use parts of pigs/cows for mitral valves, dialysis shunts, etc. So, why not?

January 21, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

i feel like I don’t know what I’d do in this situation unless I was in it. I genuinely don’t know if I could, or would even want to, do it. I have mixed feelings on the whole topic in general

January 22, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I would not hesitate even a second

January 24, 2022