Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

A few questions post transplant

PabloTransplant Patient
March 28, 2022 in Kidney

I received a kidney transplant in January, 2022. The kidney is doing fine, but otherwise the recovery has been difficult. This includes the returns to the hospital for two separate bouts of sepsis, as well as difficulty in getting blood pressure and blood sugar under control. All of these seem OK at this point. I am 75 and I had a prior heart attack about 10 years ago, so I was not the best candidate for a kidney transplant.

A few questions: as to the famous Transplant bump in my abdomen, is that permanent or does that subside overtime? Second, as to the drinking of 3 L of liquid a day, is that permanent or is that only for a certain period of time?

I realize I can get answers from my doctor, but I am interested in folks real life experience.

Thanks.

Tagged:

1 - 3 of 3 Other Answers

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'm almost 2 years out and still have the transplant bump. Its most likely a hernia I've concluded, but I'm not going to do anything about it unless it starts causing issues. I'm not kidney but I know they did recommend I drink 3L of water post transplant. I don't view it as a hard and fast rule. I try to keep hydrated, mainly I drink when I'm thirsty. I'm not sure if as a kidney recipient it might be a little more important to stick to that as a rule, but maybe someone else will be able to shed some insight.

Congratulations on your transplant, and all the best to you as you continue to recover

March 28, 2022
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

Congrats on your kidney transplant. I’m 14 years post pancreas transplant. You are blessed to get a kidney transplant at 75. Your heart must be doing okay, otherwise they probably wouldn’t have approved of the transplant. I’m sorry to you hear you have had a rough time of it. Hopefully things will settle down for you and you will continue to improve. My bump in my abdomen is a hernia but I can live with that as long as it doesn’t hurt. Just be sure what your bump is. I don’t know about fluid guidelines for kidney transplant people but your kidney transplant is still considered new so I would follow all of your physician’s recommendations. Good luck to you. My transplant made my life so much better. It’s the best thing I have done besides marrying my husband.

April 1, 2022
  • DediazabreuTransplant Patient

@Pablo hi pablo so sorry you’ve had a rough time for a two kidney transplant one last 2 1/2 years and second 15 years every patient it’s different i’ve never had a bump (hernia) but its very typical with any surgery usualy if it hurts you may ask them to remove it hope you keep feeling better get well soon good luck

April 2, 2022