Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

CAT Scan with/without contrast

PabloTransplant Patient
May 6, 2022 in Kidney

I am having a CAT scan in the near future to look at the incisional hernia I have been talking about. I was surprised to learn that my doctors say I should NEVER get a CAT scan with contrast without specific permission from them. Apparently there is increased risk of Contrast Induced Nephropathy (CIN) as well as other side effects. Who knew?

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• StaceywrightTransplant Patient

Hey there Pablo. Best of luck getting your hernia repaired. Every doctor I’ve had has told me that contrast dye is a No-No since the first time I was diagnosed with CKD. I’m now at stage 4 pre-transplant and eGFR 20. In the past, I’ve avoided dye like the plague. However, recently I had to have surgery on malformed veins in my leg. They had to use dye (a tiny amount) for the surgery. My vascular surgeon told me that it was safe, and that there are some conflicting research about CKD and dye.

May 6, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I had a scan with contrast once (note the once. and this was during my initial transplant evaluation). Not kidney, but I had the biggest blood sugar spike and then crash (I had a cgm at the time so it was all monitored), and I was told I acted like I was drunk for about 6 hours following. I was never sure if my body just reacted weirdly, or if there was a reason, but I don't get dye for my scans anymore.

May 6, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Pablo indeed, dyes can cause issues/havoc - the less used the better & the quicker they come out of your system, the better. Please consult your doctors & trust their advice.

May 9, 2022