General — TransplantLyfe

General

How can we better advocate for our rights to life insurance???

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
June 27, 2022 in General

Anyone knows how to get organized??

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

i’ve said this before and I’ll say it again - from a non American this baffles me. This is a very US focused problem, it seems, and I’m not sure why. I’m curious to hear what others have to say on this topic and maybe learn something new

June 27, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin

I imagine the best way is maybe to start a petition & involve Federal, State, Local Legislators to take things forward (with backing from influential corporate stakeholders/supporters/sponsors.)

There's power & strength in a united front - but, there are very powerful opposing parties with deep pockets too. 😔

Can't say for sure, but I believe it's been tried?

June 27, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 - as a #transplant #recipient are there no limitations/constraints in obtaining Life Insurance policies? (In 🇨🇦 )

June 27, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Sdey0522 where I am, no. I had to submit a medical letter but then they were like “that’s cool, here you go”

I’m not positive about other provinces but I assume it’s similar.

it’s never a struggle like it seems to be there.

June 27, 2022
  • StaceywrightTransplant Patient

I had no idea this was going to be an issue. I have a policy for 15 years and will complete a kidney transplant in 4-5 months. I guess I’ll need to Google what this is about.

June 27, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Good for you @JimGleason_TRIO byt for many of us a chronic issue preceded the transplantation (in my case t1d) which also made it almost impossible. … ao when I at 35 needed my kidney, I was forever restricted from life insurance…

June 28, 2022
  • StaceywrightTransplant Patient

Oh wow, Karin, that is grossly unfair! You’re right, that does need to change.

June 28, 2022