Kidney β€” TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Probiotics

stwbearTransplant Patient
September 2, 2022 in Kidney

Hi,

I had a kidney transplant 28 years ago and thank "God" have done pretty well.

I was recently diagnosed with a bacterial lung infection due to an ongoing cough post car accident. My pulmonologist ordered Augmentin 875mg every12 hours. From what I've heard it can cause stomach issues ( nausea/ diarrhea).

My pulmonary physician suggested taking a probiotic while I'm on it. She also suggested yogurt but I hate it!

I wanted to see if any of you with kidney transplants take probiotics?

If so what type/ brand? I want to make sure it's safe to take too.

Have you had any issues with taking it?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you πŸ˜€

Tagged:

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

• StaceywrightTransplant Patient

Hi there! It’s exciting to hear that you’ve had your transplant for 28 years! I’m a few months from kidney transplant, and have been told the best I could hope for is 20 years with a live donor transplant. I apologize that my advice is not post transplant, but I do take a good probiotic now. The company is Modere and the product is call Tri-biotic. It’s a pre, pro and post biotic Good luck! Hopefully someone else can respond with a referral who’s taking biopics post transplant.

September 2, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I’ve gone on and off with probiotics. (4 years post kidney transplant) I do know antibiotics can really tear up your stomach. I mostly make sure to get a probiotic that requires refrigeration so that it’s active and alive. I don’t stick to a certain brand, but hopefully others have more specific suggestions.

It sounds like you’ve been through a lot recently. Sending healing and love from Ohio! πŸ’ž

September 2, 2022
  • Ski73Transplant Patient

Wonderful news about the longevity of your kidney. So have you talked to your Transplant team about probiotics? I’m asking because my team told me not to take them. They said probiotics are OK, but not pro. So it may be worth a conversation with your team before taking them if you haven’t already done so. But I’m interested in hearing what they say.

January 31, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Ski73 did they say why? I’m just curious because my team suggested probiotics too. I’ve been taking them and noticed they definitely help with my GI issues. I’ve never heard of any issues with them

January 31, 2023

That’s great news! They said because it could interact with my immunosuppressants. But then, when I asked if I could eat yogurt or sauerkraut, they said yes. So I was a bit confused, because aren’t there probiotics in those food items? So knowing the others are taking probiotics, I’m going to circle back with my Transplant team to ask. Because I’m having G.I. issues/ acid reflux and I think probiotics could really help.

January 31, 2023

They said to stay away from anything that has live bacteria, because I am amino suppressed

January 31, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

That's really interesting. Do you have a transplant pharmacist? That's who was able to help me in terms of finding what would work best for me, making sure I wouldn't have any potential interactions with my tac... Maybe it depends on what kind of immunosuppression you're on (I'm only on tacro) but I'd definitely check with your team and see.

January 31, 2023

I will talk with my transplant pharmacist. Yeah I’m Tac and CellCept. Well, this is helpful so thank you.!

January 31, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@stwbear - congratulations on being blessed with your Gift of Life for 28 years! πŸ‘ Great job taking care of it. πŸ‘

So sorry to hear about your recent health challenges. Hopefully the treatment will address your issues & you will be healed completely.

As for as probiotics, there are so many in the market place. I would most definately check with your care team - because they're treating you for an infection, they may not want to introduce certain 'live' bacteria into your body/system.

Good luck & please do update on this forum when possible. Take care. πŸ™

February 1, 2023