Kidney/Pancreas — TransplantLyfe

Kidney/Pancreas

Liquids

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
Updated May 28, 2021 in Kidney/Pancreas

What have you been told to hydrate with and what do you actually drink??

I am a big believer in diet ginger ale - works for my nausea and I love the taste - the artificial sweetener not great fir my bowel but if I don’t overdo it a d use the Canada Dry version I am fine! I also consume large volumes of tea - both black w milk and chamomile - live it before going to bed! I do also drink rose and vodka based drinks if I am festive but always small volumes and equal amounts of water ..

Tagged:

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• meghansmithTransplant Patient

Ginger ale is a go-to for me as well! Otherwise I typically stick to water - something sort of odd for me post-transplant is I can really only tolerate room temperature water, it can't be too cold as the nerves in my teeth have become more sensitive due to medications.

November 30, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Wow! I am exactly the same - I cannot drink cold water - always room temp, and never ice cubes! @meghansmith @lescp3

December 2, 2020
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I've been told to drink lots of water. I'm pretty good about it. First thing I do when I wake up is have a glass of water. Then, coffee with milk, then back to water. I usually allow myself either an unsweetened ice green tea or a La Croix with lunch, and back to water again. When I am cold, which is more and more frequent, I drink hot, decaf green tea. Occasionally, I enjoy a nice glass of Merlot, or sometimes a Syrah, always accompanied by a glass of water, and a meal.

January 25, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Ginger ale is my go-to as well. I also drink some coffee, lots of green tea and water.

January 26, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I was told to drink lots of water. I probably don't drink as much as I should, but I try to always keep a water bottle with me. I find I drink more mindlessly if I have a straw, so I try to trick myself. Using lemon or something to flavour it also helps me get more down. And at night I've been doing warm water with lemon and honey. I also drink a ton of coffee, and when I do drink something else it's iced tea or lemonade, and that isn't super frequently. I haven't tried anything alcoholic yet, will wait at least a year post transplant to even venture in that direction, but when I do I'll probably do what Karin said, with having equal parts water, and it will be very infrequent and in small amounts.

January 29, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 i notice that vodka lemon with sparkling water works best for me - always w some food though

January 31, 2021
  • Care_massTransplant Patient

I have been absolutely terrible with drinking, so I started eating cucumbers. To boost my liquids. I eat a whole cuke once a day as a snack, and then I like iced tea as a sweet treat. I will occasionally have a hot tea, butni need to find any way I can to get fluids in me!

February 22, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Love cucumber! Great idea

February 23, 2021