Kidney/Pancreas — TransplantLyfe

Kidney/Pancreas

Covid vaccines

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
December 2, 2020 in Kidney/Pancreas

How do you feel about the three new vaccines: Moderna and Pfizer being mRNA based and AstraZeneca using a viral vector? Personally I would go for the most efficacious and safe one, moderna or Pfizer - I don’t think there is much of a difference between the two... biggest difference seems to be the storage temperature which may make the moderna one a little more accessible

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• meghansmithTransplant Patient

I definitely will be interested to see what my transplant team says once it is available - I've been on webinars where different transplant surgeons/medical directors have spoken about it; some said "run to the front of the line" while others said to be more cautious and wait until more testing is done on immunosuppressed patients or even further, transplant patients specifically.

December 3, 2020
  • brandonmTransplant Patient

I’m interested to see what my transplant team says about it. They’ve been quiet on the subject and currently don’t have an opinion.

December 16, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@brandonm mine too! No action at all - surprising really - isn’t it??

December 23, 2020
  • brandonmTransplant Patient

@Karin It is very surprising. Maybe they’re waiting for a trial on Immunosuppressed patients? I hope it’s something transplant patients can safely receive and know very soon. I will definitely keep asking about it.

December 23, 2020
  • AnnMarieCare Partner

Coming at this from a different angle some research for cancer patients who had node removal is that they should not get it in the arm twice. Swelling has been an issue. My doctor is amazing at staying up to date on the data and I trust him. Listening to group discussions like this help to bring questions to the table!

December 23, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I would take it! But I would not modify my behavior much until I knew it was tested and preventative for a longer period

December 23, 2020
  • meghansmithTransplant Patient

Hopkins has been pretty mum on the subject, but ironically they are leading a study on transplant patients who receive the covid vaccine and the antibodies they produce:

"The purpose of this research study is to determine COVID-19 antibody levels in transplant recipients who get the COVID-19 vaccine. The study does not provide the vaccine, and study team members will not be offering guidance as to whether or not one should receive a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine. If participants will be receiving a vaccine and are interested in the study, we will collect a blood sample before vaccination, and collect samples at sequential time points post-immunization."

You can read more about the study, and sign-up here (even if you have no idea when exactly you'll be receiving the vaccine): https://transplantvaccine.org/

I decided to sign-up for whenever I do receive the vaccine. My infectious disease doctor who I highly respect is a co-investigator in the study, so I'm assuming she must think the vaccine will be ok for transplant patients to receive?

December 24, 2020