General — TransplantLyfe

General

Introducing...YOU!...

ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient
December 9, 2022 in General

Hi everyone. We've had a lot of new faces around here. If you're new here, feel free to introduce yourself here in this thread, or make a new post. We'd love to get to know you better!

I'm Shelby and I had a kidney transplant 4 1/2 years ago. I'm a mom to 4 and an Air Force wife.

Tell me about you!

1 - 13 of 13 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'm Alisha, but my friends call me Ali. I am just over 2 years out from 2 back to back liver transplants (the first one from a living donor failed immediately, and I was re-transplanted 3 days later from a deceased donor) and almost a month out from an abdominal wall transplant. I'm married to my college sweetheart, we have a rescue, disabled pitbull named IV (and yes, that is short for intraveinous), and our only child, Paris, was stillborn 4 years ago, which kicked my whole transplant story into action. We live in Alberta, Canada, where it isn't uncommon to have -40 temperatures during our very long winters, I'm a writer, a coffee lover and I enjoy getting outside whenever possible

December 12, 2022
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

Welcome our new members from December:

@WarriorLady61

@GeoHansen

@Siobhan

@Missnatalie

@authenticallyapril

@cturtle

@LivBecLiv

@Bfausnaught

We'd love to learn more about you!

December 12, 2022
  • Hey Hey new friends in the transplant world!

The reason I am here is because I am a mom to a kiddo born with biliary atresia and liver transplant at 9 months old. We are now 6 years out from transplant. On top of being a mom to this kiddo, I am also his living liver donor. Pretty fab to be able to get life to the same kid twice.

To know a little more about me, I have 5 kids, the liver kid is number 4 - so I had a baby post donation. My hobbies include eating cupcakes -I really should work on my nutrition habits- and running. I am all signed up and qualified to run the Boston marathon this year and would love to start doing races to bring more knowledge to the transplant world at large.

We are also a military family so we move every 2-3 years which means I get to experience more than one transplant center and GI doctors. But hey, having more people in my pocket to reference and check in with is all the better for better care for my liver kiddo. My favorite place to live since becoming a military spouse is Colorado because it has mountains, skiing/snow boarding and sunshine. The military life is one of a kind!

Feel free to ask me more questions!

December 12, 2022
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

@authenticallyapril My hobbies also include cupcake eating 🤣

Thanks for sharing!

December 12, 2022
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Welcome everyone, this is a wonderful place to be.❤️💚😊

December 13, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

@authenticallyapril you forgot pickleball too! I’m super lucky that April and I are friend IRL and connected through our dual interest in transplant living. I love that I get to play pickleball with you!

December 14, 2022
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

Hi! I am Taryn. I am a new transplant recipient. I received a kidney/pancreas on August 14, 2022. I am an Executive Assistant in the world of medical devices, mom to boy, wife, athlete, cook, party planner, and in the words of my husband "extraverted and extra bossy". I reside in Northern Colorado, and my hobbies include attending all the things my kiddo wants to do, and photographing all the details. I volunteer with the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure as the chair of Living Red advocating for people living with diabetes. Love meeting new people and learning about them. Pleased to meet all of you!

December 19, 2022
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Welcome welcome I am 2yrs. LTP. I am also new to this site I have throughly enjoyed meeting and following folks on their journey. 😊💚 you sound like you have been thru a lot r u doing well with your TP’s..

I love your T 👕 shirt😊

December 19, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I love so much that we have the same transplant anniversary, just 2 years apart!

December 20, 2022

Me too!! I love it SO MUCH! It's just another level of connection, knowing that we are not alone in this journey.

December 20, 2022
  • @TServold I love Colorado! We lived there for 6 years (Colorado Springs and Boulder) and loved both places. I also love your descriptions of attending to all things kiddo related! Way to go and congrats on what seems to be a successful transplant. Also, what cool volunteer work you do. How did you get connected into that space? I'd love to know.

December 25, 2022

I’m near Boulder!

I got involved in the ADA TdC when a fellow type 1 invited me to join her at the event one year. I was feeling very alone in my world of diabetes at the time, and this was the first diabetes even I attended where I truly felt like I was in a community. I was no longer alone in my world with diabetes. So, immediately after the event I emailed the organizer and asked how I could get more involved in the future. She invited me to join the planning committee and there I connected with the person who was the chair of Living Red (those living with diabetes) at the time. He and I became very good friends and partners in the organization. Unfortunately he passed away in 2019 and I took over being the chair, and continued on both his and my passion of creating a world where people living with diabetes know they are not alone. It’s absolutely a disease just like transplant where it takes a community. Those next to you may think they know, but they don’t know first hand. I’ve met so many people who are thriving with diabetes and that journey really helped me take care of myself. It also really helps me understand that even though I worked diligently to manage my diabetes, and still needed a kidney and pancreas transplant doesn’t mean I was a failure… that’s still a work in progress for me.

January 2, 2023