Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Live vaccines post transplant

December 12, 2022 in Liver

My #toughtinytim received an MMR and Varicella vaccine when he was 6 months old prior to transplant in hopes he'd develop some immunity. We recently had him tested for immunity and he only had some immunity to Rubella. I thought that was really strange to have one of the 3 in the MMR shot. Has this happened to you?

We are approaching the subject of trying to vacinate him for Chicken Pox (Varicella) and MMR again. The infectious disease team talked with me about it but I want to hear your experience with vaccines post transplant.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I was told absolutely no live virus vaccines post transplant. I was 23 when I was transplanted, so I'd already had the majority of my vaccinations, but I do know a lot of families who had pediatric transplants with their kiddos and they just skipped any live virus vaccines. This was also brought up to my husband and I should we ever travel somewhere, and as something to consider should we ever have kids and get them vaccinated.

I also heard (and I can't remember where I heard this, so if someone has a source to prove/disprove this, please share) that being on immunosuppression meds messes with your immunity in general, so even if you were fully vaccinated prior to transplant that immunity isn't as potent just due to the meds.

December 13, 2022
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Yes, I have also heard this to, most vaccines are not as potent w/immunosuppressanted patients..

December 13, 2022
  • So my tough tiny is signed up to do a trial run for the live vaccine. They tested his immunity to MMR and Varicella because he recieved one dose early before transplant. They didn't really work.

So going forward, the team said we will go down and get one vaccine to Varicella first. If he develops any adverse reactions, or gets chicken poxs we are supposed to take him right to the hospital for treatment. After a few weeks he will have labs drawn and if it worked, great if not then they will try again. If it doesn't take after the 2nd or 3rd time they will deem his body unable to accept the vaccine and they will more on to MMR.

The benefits of being vaccinated outweigh the affects of not trying. So, here comes Jauary. Wish us luck!

December 29, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@authenticallyapril I'd be really interested in hearing how that goes. Please keep us posted!

December 30, 2022