General β€” TransplantLyfe

General

Missed med doses?

WarriorLady61Care Partner
January 9, 2023 in General

Has anyone ever missed a dose of their anti rejection meds? I had left for a quick errand in the morning and had asked a family member to give my mom her morning dose.. well when I was giving her evening dose I noticed the pillbox that has the AM slot was still full… ( my family member forgot)

I went on full panic mode and called the doctor on call ( still waiting to hear back) but wanted to know if anyone out there has done this before and what were the repercussions ? Please tell me all will be good. I feel so guilty and horrible.

1 - 16 of 16 Other Answers

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

If it's one dose, it'll probably be fine. Definitely follow up with your team, but I was told if it's within a few hours of your missed dose to take it, and if it's longer just skip it and move to the next dose time.

I missed a dose once, didn't even realize I missed it until I went to refill my pill box at the end of the week and noticed I still had pills in that day's slot. It was totally fine, no repercussions.

We're all human, things happen. We cannot hold ourselves to a standard of perfection. Sending you so much grace and love. You're doing the best you can

January 9, 2023
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

@WarriorLady61 In my 17+ years since my liver transplant I've missed doses here and there. My team says the same thing @AliEm14 's team does: take it when you remember unless it's time for your next dose, then just take the next dose. I'm glad you felt you could reach out here and ask for advice!

January 9, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

I completely agree with @AliEm14 & @brookegurrad.

- please always make sure the team is notified/informed

- you could try to set alarms to take your meds.

- Also, there are some health apps for your smartphone/devices that can help. One such app is: the Allocare App.

good luck to you @WarriorLady61 !

January 9, 2023
  • Our team is right on board with the others above. Take it unless it's time for the next one then just skip it.

Though when we go in for clinic now, they ask us what makes it hardest to take the medicine. Sometimes we just forget. But normally I have an alarm that goes off on my phone, and the google home when it is med time to make it easier to remember to take it.

January 10, 2023
  • WarriorLady61Care Partner

thank you to every single one that responded, I feel validated.It really felt like I got a group hug from all of you. Phew.

January 10, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

πŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ˜Š

January 10, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I love this! This is why TransplantLyfe is here! I'm so glad you were able to find the support you were looking for

January 10, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I missed a dose once and seriously beat myself up emotionally so bad. One change in routine can completely mess you up! Now I’ve got a rock solid process and I haven’t forgotten since. It did not impact my kidney function and I’m still doing well today. It happens to all of us. What’s important is learning, putting additional safeguards in place, and moving forward. Thanks for sharing your experience!

January 10, 2023
  • debcosTransplant Patient

I'm a little over 7 years post-transplant. I had a Liver & Kidney tx on August 2, 2015. I ordered refills for my Envarsus XR & my Mycophenolic last week, but unfortunately, my doctor's office didn't respond to my mail-order pharmacy until 2 days ago & they just sent them out today. I have more than enough of the Mycophenolic to last until the prescription arrives, but I only have enough Envarsus to last until Monday (today is Thurs). I just called the pharmacy to see if I could pay to have the Envarsus sent 2nd-day delivery, but the prescription has already been processed, today, & has shipped out. I'm fairly certain that it will arrive by Monday or Tuesday at the latest, but since I only have enough Envarsus until Monday, will I be alright if I have to: either get it on Tuesday & take my dose 8 to 12 hours late or get it on Wednesday & miss a day altogether?

January 12, 2023
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

@debcos — If it were me I’d start with a call to my transplant team and let them know what happened. They can give you the best medical advice for your specific situation.

In working with my team, there’s been an occasion where a local pharmacy had enough of the med I needed in stock to get me through til mail order arrived. Just an idea worth mentioning to your transplant team if you feel out of options.

Keep us posted!

January 12, 2023

@brookegurrad, thanks for the reply. Yes, that's exactly what my mail-order pharmacy suggested that I do. I'm going to call my post tx care coordinator this morning.

January 12, 2023
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient
    January 12, 2023

Thank you so much. It's looking good. I just checked the tracking & my Envarsus prescription is due to be delivered on Monday. If for some reason it's not, my doctor said he'll call in a temporary script to my local pharmacy. Monday's looking good for the delivery though because according to the tracking, it's already here in my city (Chicago) & since today is Saturday it's more than likely that it will be delivered on Monday.

January 14, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘, I to depend on my meds thru the mail.. it’s scary b/c some of the local pharmacy just do not keep the immunosuppressants in stock that we take.

LTP I take Prograf, myfortic and prednisone.πŸ’š

January 14, 2023
  • PabloTransplant Patient

Lots of responses here - I would just say that I miss a dosage of Prograf from time to time. Seems to make no lasting difference. Just don't make a habit of if - but don't expect perfection from yourself.

February 5, 2023
  • The doctors we've worked with sometimes switch our med doses a little bit to our advantage so we have a little extra on hand so we don't have to stress about medication not showing up.

That being said, before that time we ran out and a call to the pharmacy happened. They had some in stock and I was able to pick up 5 days worth while waiting for the rest to arrive.

February 6, 2023