Liver β€” TransplantLyfe

Liver

Diet Post Liver Transplant

Dana_JesiCare Partner
January 12, 2023 in Liver

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the community. I'm the primary care giver for my husband who has a liver disease.

He's actually quite healthy now considering, which we are extremely grateful for, but he's still waiting for a liver transplant and has been for over a year.

We're hopeful that a match will be found soon. With that, I'm trying to prepare for that whole process as much as possible.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or links they could send my way for good meal ideas or food choices for after the transplant.

I know high protein/fiber and avoid greasy foods, salads, and sugary foods, but I'm having trouble finding actual advice on post-liver-transplant diet options. Maybe the guidelines above are enough. But I was hoping for more specifics...like a grocery list. Haha

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Tagged:

TransplantLyfe Favorite

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

One of the easiest and best things for me post transplant was protein shakes/smoothies. I didn't feel really hungry in the beginning, and smoothies were a great way to make sure I was still getting enough nutrition. We did a lot of berries with vanilla protein powder or peanut butter and chocolate protein powder. I also ate a lot of fried eggs, but that was a personal craving.

My dietician at the hospital gave us a big list of transplant approved meal ideas, and ways to increase my calorie and protein intake. Maybe ask your transplant centre if they have a similar list

January 12, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I had a kidney transplant, so I know it's a different organ, but I can tell you about general diet changes post-transplant. Most transplant centers will tell you to avoid undercooked foods to avoid infection and certain fruits like pomegranate and grapefruit that can impact the effectiveness of the transplant meds.

I'll defer to the other liver transplant friends for more specifics with diet post liver transplant. Best wishes!

January 12, 2023
  • Hi @Dana_Jesi!!

The only food we were ever told to avoid was grapefruit as it interfers with processing the immunosupressant medication.

My guy used to love high fatty foods and still will enjoy them once in a while but he knows his body best and what to eat/not eat.

We heat up lunch meats before eating them to kill bacterias. We also make sure to wash all raw veggies and like Shelby mentioned above make sure our meats are not undercooked.

January 15, 2023

1 - 22 of 22 Other Answers

• Dana_JesiCare Partner

Thanks, everyone! This was helpful. πŸ™‚

I'm trying to have everything planned out to a T, but I'm starting to realize that's just not realistic.

I've decided to take more things as they come. 😊 My husband is already a healthy eater. I'm going to make sure he has on hand the usual foods he likes and go from there. He loves protein shakes too! And overnight oats, so I'm going to try to swing those..maybe after we get back home and get settled back into our routine 😊

We found out that he has a donor match! Just waiting for the surgery to be scheduled!! πŸ˜πŸ˜¬πŸ˜³πŸ˜…

I'm nervous, anxious, excited, and still being cautious because we've had donors not work out before, but this is his cousin and he's gotten further than anyone else has. πŸ™

Thank you, everyone, for the help!

I'll be back if I have anymore questions. πŸ˜‰πŸ™‚

January 16, 2023
  • @Dana_Jesi thats great news. I will keep you, your hubby and cousin in my heart and prayers for everything to work out smoothly.

Going from a place where he’s already a healthy eater and playing it as it comes is such a great idea, albeit hard to not be able to control it all.

wishing you the best!

January 16, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Dana_Jesi sending you so much love! Be sure to keep us posted as to how it all goes.

i love your approach of just taking things as they come. It’s so easy to try and control everything, and one of the things I learned quickly about transplant is you just can’t. Make wise, healthy choices when you can and don’t stress too much about the rest.

January 16, 2023
  • kowalskikTransplant Patient

Prayers for transplant coming your way. I was in that same waiting game of nervousness exactly 1 month ago. Bless you as the caretaker. He gets a fabulous nap. You get the stress. I’ll pray extra hard for all of you. It’s a lot to take in. A lot. Take care of yourself too. I had to shoo my caretakers away to get dinners and sleep. You need those. Best of prayers coming your way!

January 16, 2023
  • Dana_JesiCare Partner

Awe, thank you, everyone. So much support here! ❀️

Thank you, @kowalskik ! That actually makes me feel better how you put that. 😊 He doesn't mind his ERCPs and similar procedures because he thinks of them as refreshing naps.lol If I can think of him experiencing it that way I might be able to make myself feel a tiny bit better. 😊

We have a 2.5 year old daughter too. She'll be home with my mom. It'll be tough being separated from her during the surgery as well, but it'll be best for all. Just a very stressful few days until daddy's past the surgery and just resting in the hospital waiting to be discharged.

I appreciate the prayers more than you'll ever know! You must be just starting your recovering journey now, @kowalskik . How are you feeling?

January 17, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi Dana I to am thinking about u as u go thru this journey with your hubby. Tell him I am 2yrs.post LTP and have had some bumps in the road but doing well. Grateful for each and every day.

The first 6months was the hardest for me but each day will get better. Sending πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»’s to u allπŸ’š stay positive/strong u can get thru this. Your second chance at life will be worth it, it did for me..

January 17, 2023
  • Dana_JesiCare Partner

Thanks, @Melsamm. I've tried to keep that in perspective as we've been going through this process too. That getting a transplant doesn't mean all of our troubles will be gone. It definitely needs to happen, but it's not a miracle cure.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well! Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. ❀️😊

January 17, 2023
  • kowalskikTransplant Patient

@melsamm has been my πŸ‘ΌπŸ»thru this. I never felt “alone”. This journey is scary for everyone. Patient, family and friends. I’m recovering slowly. Slower than I like. Pain is awful but I’m told it’s usually not this way. So they are working on figuring out why. The two things I tell myself is that 1. Everyone is different thru this process of transplant and healing and 2. Caretakers are heroes. I warned everyone that my devil horns will come out and I’m sorry. Your husband might experience that. Know it’s not him. It’s the darn roids! And it gets better.

I never thought I’d get to a point to help anyone else, but if you have questions for someone right off the boat, I’m here and going thru it and happy to share.

praying for you and your family. I’ve got lots of time these days, so they are coming!!

January 17, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'm glad you brought attention to steroid induced emotion. I wasn't on steroids immediately post transplant, but I was on them for a couple of months a few months post transplant (luckily I got off them very quickly) but I remember feeling like I had such a short fuse. The smallest thing would set me off, and sometimes I find it miraculous my marriage survived all the personality changes I endured in my transplant journey. Pain also makes people generally less pleasant to be around, and I say all the time its the pain talking, not me. When I'm in pain, I tend to get overstimulated really fast, and then I'll snap

January 17, 2023

Awe β€οΈπŸ’šβ€οΈu, I am always here for u my friend. I am like u if I can help anyone thru their LTP journey I will. Everyone’s journey is so different. The hardest part is patience and u have to let your body heal. My team always would say to me when I would get so inpatient “ YOU JUST HAD MAJOR SURGERY, it takes a good year to start feeling better. You have this new/foreign organ in your body and it does not want to be here lol, that’s why it is so important to take your immunosuppressants ALWAYSπŸ’šπŸ’š time will heal and I πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»u get some relief from your pain and your team figures out why u r in pain. I was one of lucky ones I guess u would say I did not have a lot of pain w/my LTP.. it was more the meds making me feel yucky..

January 17, 2023

Totally understand the steroids, I am back on them I had a acute rejection back on Thanksgiving, hoping to get off of them soon.. My liver numbers r elevated but not high..YEA😊😊😊😊 it’s just a day at a time. We just have our challenges to deal w/ but we can do it..πŸ’šβ€οΈ

January 17, 2023
  • shiksha07444Care Partner

After a liver transplant, it is important to follow a healthy and balanced diet to support your recovery and overall health. Here are some dietary recommendations for post-liver transplant patients:

1. Eat a variety of nutrient-dense foods: Include a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and healthy fats in your diet. This can help provide your body with the essential nutrients it needs to heal and maintain good health.
    2. Avoid high-fat foods: Limit your intake of high-fat foods, such as fried foods, processed snacks, and fatty meats. These foods can be hard for your liver to process and may contribute to complications.
    3. Limit sodium intake: Too much sodium can cause fluid retention and high blood pressure, which can be especially dangerous for liver transplant patients. Limit your sodium intake by avoiding processed and packaged foods, and choosing fresh foods instead.
    4. Stay hydrated: Drinking enough water and other fluids is essential for maintaining good health and helping your body heal after surgery. Aim for at least 8-10 cups of fluids per day, and avoid sugary drinks and alcohol.
    5. Avoid raw or undercooked foods: After a transplant, your immune system may be weakened and more vulnerable to infection. Avoid eating raw or undercooked foods, and make sure to wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly.
    6. Consult with a registered dietitian: A registered dietitian can help create a personalized diet plan that meets your unique needs and supports your recovery after a liver transplant. They can also provide guidance on proper portion sizes and meal timing.

Following a healthy diet can help support your recovery after a liver transplant and improve your overall health and well-being. Be sure to talk to your healthcare team about any specific dietary needs or restrictions you may have. and you can find tons of info about liver health here : https://www.livertransplantinternational.com/

April 24, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

@shiksha07444 thanks for sharing that info!

April 24, 2023

Thank u for this information πŸ˜ŠπŸ’šπŸ’™

April 24, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@shiksha07444 - thank you so much for sharing all the relevant info!

I'd love to learn more about your personal story. Are you a Caregiver for a liver recipient? When was the transplant and was it a live donor hero situation, or the Gift was made possible through a deceased donor hero?

April 26, 2023
  • FiferplTransplant Patient

Wow! I feel like my team assumes all is well and go on your way. No information and no post transplant support, even when asked.

May 24, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Fiferpl where are you located?

i know a lot of patients have really had to push for better follow up care. It’s a huge problem across the board and varies greatly from centre to centre or country to country.

i feel really lucky with my team here in Canada, but sadly not having an across the board standard for every patient is hurting patients

May 24, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

I second the protein shakes and smoothies. I struggle to really have an appetite in the mornings, mainly bc of medicine. I have to break my fast slowly. Usually starts with water, and then I make a morning smoothie.

July 19, 2023