General โ€” TransplantLyfe

General

Sick Kiddos

TServoldTransplant Patient
January 26, 2023 in General

As a transplant recipient, someone who is immunocompromised, how do you approach having sick kids (or spouse/other house members) at home?

My son is sick (not bad, but ill) for the first time since my transplant. My husband was positive for COVID before Thanksgiving, but A-symptomatic, and we were able to keep him isolated in the basement for 10 days. Now, it's my son who is sick. (Not COVID) with a chest cold and laryngitis. No fever. I am currently working from home, and he is home from school today. All he wants are snuggles from mommy. We are both masked up in KN95 masks, and trying to stay in separate rooms, washing hands and cleaning surfaces frequently. I am in my office, he is in the living room, but he is 8, and doesn't feel good, he just wants snuggles with his mommy.

Any other suggestions?! I am almost 6 months post-op and so nervous about getting sick and ending up back in the hospital.

Tagged:

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• Hey! I feel like I have a solid handle on this! My kiddo was transplanted over 6 years ago. He is numbder 4 of 5 kids.

At first we have a hand sanitizer machine at the entrance to our house. We were the wierdos before COVID happened - then we were normal. Anyway, older kids and spouse would come home from work and they'd sanitze, wash and bathe upon coming home. We would seperate out those who were sick and isolate the immunocompromised one - he was little and young.

The doctors honestly said we'd drive ourselves into the ground trying to protect him from every germ and to try to live life like we used to.

It's been years now and we still wash hands upon coming home. We bathe after going to church still (why do people think they need to go to church when they are sick?). At any rate, we are a military family and the first year after moving is the worst for catching germs. We simply treat as needed and contact the transplant team when needed. For instance, if my immunocompromised kid catching something at school or from his siblings, we use tylenol to control fever and TONS of fluids. As much as I can get in him. If he still isn't showing signs of improvement after 24-48 hours we head to urgent care to check for "normal" sicknesses. Flu, covid, strep, RSV. Hopefully that shows something. If not we assume it's the liver and contact his transplant team to see if we need to come in, get labs to check liver levels or play the waiting game.

It's stressful because we never know when our lives may be flipped upside down - but we accept it when it comes and deal with it at that point.

Wash hands. Don't eat anything off of anyone else's plate/cup. Bathe - especially those kiddos.

January 26, 2023
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

I have two littles at home, and when they are sick, they want all the snuggles! Generally, my husband does sanitizing and feeding times, and I help with other things with all of us masked. I still get sick sometimes, but it's pretty normal at our house to wear a mask when sick or when someone around is sick.

January 26, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

Thank you, both for sharing, and your input, and routines in your household. It is so helpful to hear from other that its NORMAL. My son's pediatrician just said last Friday "masks are great, but they are not perfect, especially when its an 8 year old wearing one". It is so true... He started basketball games on Saturday, and his mask was on his chin most of the game. I get it, its hard to wear a mask and play basketball. 30% of his team is sick this week... hmmmmmmmmmm wonder where this came from. :) We always wash hands upon arrival home, or to anyone's house for that matter, and always have. We will keep practicing good hygiene, and sanitary measures. Hopefully this is short lived, and remains un-spread through the household like the positive COVID case was in November.

January 26, 2023
  • WarriorLady61Care Partner

thank you all who shared their routines too. This is something that has me so worried since my mom is only 2 months post transplant for a liver and kidney and lives with me now . I have 2 little ones that go to school and well schools and everywhere else seem to be germ central nowadays. This is super helpful to know that it’s not going to always be a run to the ER.

January 27, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi, I have no little ones so I cannot relate, I did want to send u and your mom well wishes on her recovery and especially u as the caregiver๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’š I๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป u and your family stay safe and healthy.

January 27, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

Yep, definitely have had to figure this one out. I've got 4 kids, my youngest was 1 when I was transplanted and he didn't understand not snuggling mom (especially since I had a central line placed for IVIG and plasmapheresis). He also got CHICKEN POX a couple week after my transplant, even though he'd been vaccinated. It's fun being a mom and trying to navigate both of your health at the same time.

I will say that we never used masks because I was transplanted in 2018 and my docs said they weren't effective. That was all pre-COVID. Post Covid, our kids have gotten Covid, my husband has gotten it, I got super sick in January 2022, but never tested positive.

We wore masks and separated when it was Covid. For other things, I just don't kiss mouths, I will sometimes kiss heads, and I wash my hands like crazy.

My now 6yo came into my bed last night because he had a runny nose and his ears were hurting so bad he was screaming. Yes, it does run across my mind that he could get me sick, but I'm on much lower immunosuppression than I was right after my transplant. I tell the kids they can't cough on me (I didn't really ever want them to do that anyway) and I let me husband help a lot since his immune system is strong.

I don't think there's a right or a wrong way to do it. You've got to follow your medical team's advice and then pick what's right to do with your family.

Let us know if we can support you any further.

January 30, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@TServold hope your kiddo will feel better soon. As a recipient it is indeed difficult when there are others in the household who are sick. Especially with these days - there is so much out there!!

It sounds like you're doing all the right things at home to manage the situation. Keep your guard up! It's perfectly OK to mask up indoors - it may not be ๐Ÿ’ฏ protection, it is something.

February 1, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

Thank you all for this input. We survived the virus with no one else getting sick.

I hope everyone survives cold and flu season.

February 2, 2023