General — TransplantLyfe

General

Moving after transplant

Maddog3423Transplant Patient
February 5, 2023 in General

My brother donated his kidney to me in December, so far everything has been ok. I have low energy but getting red blood cells boosted bi weekly. He and I discussed me moving to so. Carolina this month. My question is what do I need to do to make a seemless move there?

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I would start off by talking with your transplant team and getting their advice on where to transfer your care to. Make sure your insurance covers the new transplant center you want to go to. I moved 2 years after my transplant and kept the same transplant center because I only moved 3 hours away and I love my team. I have to get approval for this every year, and since it’s my decision and there are closer centers, they don’t pay for my travel costs for in person visits.

I think those are a good place to start. Best wishes!!

February 5, 2023
  • I agree with what @Shelbycreates said. Also so important to make sure when picking the new team that it is a good fit. This has to be a working relationship for all involved. We spent the last 2 years not getting the care we think we deserved and it was very draining. We are happy to be back with our old team after moving once again.

February 6, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

👍👍💚

February 6, 2023