General — TransplantLyfe

General

Pricing Tacrolimus

PabloTransplant Patient
February 27, 2023 in General

Has anyone noticed a price increase ( significant) in Tacrolimus? I have both Medicare and (back-up) BC/BS. I noticed that Tacro is waaay more expensive than last year. Now, it could be that I have not exhausted my deductible(s) - but Medicare said I had. But, then, perhaps these 2023 billings were before.

Anyway, before I involve myself in dealing with Medicare - Has anyone noticed a price increase for this? Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'm in Canada so I don't pay anything for my tac. I remember seeing the sheet way back when I was first transplanted of what things would cost if I had to pay for them, and I don't envy anyone who has to navigate finding a way to afford their own meds. I don't know if I could have done it

Maybe some of our US members have more knowledge to share in this area? @Sdey0522 @Shelbycreates ?

February 27, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Pablo, how much r u having to pay for Tacro and how many r u getting. I am fixing to be on Medicare/BCBS in April.

February 28, 2023
  • Our tacro is covered completely by our insurance. I know this isn't the same for everyone. Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

February 28, 2023

You are so fortunate to have such good ins. I just cannot understand why these drugs r not covered for all TP patients.

February 28, 2023
  • PabloTransplant Patient

Last year I was paying around $15 or so for 90 pills ( 30 days).

February 28, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Melsamm - definately check with your insurance folks (or the HR/Benefits team at your work place). Insurance rates are renegotiated annually usually. Do you have private insurance + Medicare/ Medicaid). Also, you can check if the drug related deductibles have been met yet for the year.

There's usually a lag for Medicare to send out the statements with the EOB (Explanation Of Benefits) - you may not have met the deductibles yet.

Best of luck to you- hope the issue is resolved in your favor, quickly.

February 28, 2023

Well - I found out today that I had not quite covered my deductibles. My last EOB said I had, but that reflects a later date than when I picked up my prescriptions. so - all is well! THANKS everyone. Much appreciated.

February 28, 2023
  • marober90Transplant Patient

Have you looked into Mark Cuban's "cost plus drugs" it's a pharmacy he started that offers inexpensive meds without insurance. Since it doesn't use insurance it won't count towards your deductible/max out of pocket to my knowledge.

March 1, 2023

I will. You are the second person to mention that to me this week. Thanks.

March 3, 2023

i will to. Thanks

March 3, 2023