Pancreas — TransplantLyfe

Pancreas

11 years today

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
Updated May 28, 2021 in Pancreas

Today is my pancreas transplant anniversary! I wonder how I should celebrate - my mother would say I should eat cake - some would argue having a drink - two things that were difficult before the pancreas, but despite the eleven years I still don’t feel comfortable eating sugar or drinking too much - it is so engrained in my mind that it will hurt me that I don’t think that those two actions will make me feel happy.

I will instead enjoy my freedom of not having to measure my blood sugar, injecting insulin, fearing lows and highs, occupying my mind w calculations and fears, and then taking a stroll, breathing in the fresh air and perhaps even running a sprint with my daughter - pushing my body a little and feeling ALIVE AND FREE!!

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Thank you @JimGleason - I wrote a letter to my donor family a few days ago hoping it gets to them soon!

January 2, 2021
  • lescp3Care Partner

What a great way to celebrate Karin!!! Keep up the great care of yourself and your angel Liv :)

January 3, 2021
  • glendaikeCare Partner

So pleased you shared with us that transplant really works!!!! The coming together of bioscience, medicine, surgery, and the love of life coming from a donor that affirms this miracle!

January 3, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

Thank you for sharing! Happy Anniversary!

January 4, 2021
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Thank you @lescp3 and @ChefAmanda ! And yes @glendaike it does work :-)

January 4, 2021