General — TransplantLyfe

General

Dentist Visits

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
May 31, 2023 in General

We were just talking in our Hackensack support group about dentist visits. Someone mentioned their teeth had gotten better post transplant, which I've also experienced but never really thought anything of. I had terrible teeth pre-transplant, and now they are fantastic (my dentist always jokes I've had too many other things wrong with me and my teeth are now making up for it)

@Sdey0522 also mentioned antibiotics pre dentist visit. I'm 3 years out and have never been told to take antibiotics prior to visiting the dentist, and have had no problems. It's just noted in my chart that I'm a transplant recipient. So I'm curious what your experience is - do you get prescribed pre-dentist antibiotics?

1 - 19 of 19 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Yes to antibiotics prior to dentist visits - that is a must… just because nothing has happened - doesn’t mean they won’t in the future… better be safe than sorry )

June 1, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

That is definitely on the must do list from my transplant team.

June 1, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi, Just went to liver clinic I asked my TP team and they said no need for antibiotics, I am 2.5 years LTP. They said it was my Dentist discretion if I needed them, as I am having some dental work done. I guess each TP team is different.

June 1, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Maybe liver is different than kidney/pancreas!

June 1, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

In my experience, I always used to get a script for antibiotics for any/all visits to a dentist (including for clinics). They usually asked me to take a set amount (high dosage) about 30-60 minutes prior to any procedure or cleaning. I gladly followed the orders because it's better to be compliant and safe, rather than sorry and troubled (as @Karin also mentioned). However, as more time went on post transplant, the restrictions were slightly relaxed. At present, I only pre-medicate if it's an actual procedure, other than the basic routine cleaning visits.

It's best to check with your respective transplant teams, since we all know that no 2 individuals are alike and all transplant journeys are unique.

June 1, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Oh maybe! @Melsamm i’m liver too. My transplant team has always said no need unless I’m having a big dental procedure.

June 1, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Here’s an interesting article I found about it. It’s Canadian and US stats, older but still interesting

100% agree @Sdey0522 every case is different and ask your doctor what is right for you!

June 1, 2023
  • coopscadoopTransplant Patient

Take it every time. In the States, many dental practices don't know/practice the protocol. However, from the transplant side my team always makes sure to ask and notify.

June 5, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@coopscadoop i am finding protocol does differ from country to country. There are people in the US that aren’t advised to take them that I know of too (like @TServold i believe). There doesn’t seem to be a straight across the board protocol for this.

it is noted in my file, and my dentist works directly with my transplant team.

June 6, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'd be really curious to hear what more people from places outside North America have to say.

@Afifa @EmmyO @Chantsjm @andresfalco @Katie @Theliverchronicles ?

June 6, 2023

Yes I would to, my understanding from TP is that they don’t want u on antibiotics unless it is absolutely necessary b/c we may need them if we get really sick and want the antibiotics to work.

June 6, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Well, generally speaking antibiotics should be reserved to treat real bacterial infections. If the body gets used to antibiotics, then it loses the ability to fight off the infections. Especially, in the 🇺🇸 I believe it's not very common practice to prescribe antibiotics unless the benefits outweigh the risks, as per the medical providers (again, this is mostly on a case by case basis, and it's difficult to have a set standard/protocol (however, hospitals/centers/doctors do follow general guidelines etc).

"The overuse of antibiotics — especially taking antibiotics when they're not the correct treatment — promotes antibiotic resistance. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about one-third of antibiotic use in people is not needed nor appropriate."

"Antibiotics treat infections caused by bacteria. But they don't treat infections caused by viruses (viral infections)."

For example, I know that in India, antibiotics are very commonly prescribed & used, 'at the drop of a hat'. Some people swear by it, even if they're dealing with something viral.

I'm due to have crown work & a root canal soon - I will definately ask my transplant doctor & most likely she will prescribe antibiotics for the procedures due to increased risks of bacterial infections.

June 6, 2023
  • jillralkeeTransplant Patient

Wow, I had never thought about this!! Honestly, mine are better too! Pre transplant I constantly had issues from root canals, to cavities and I even had to get gum surgery right before my transplant. I used to bleed every time I would go and would have such high anxiety going. They even would say I had gingivitis multiple times and would threaten if I didn't take care of my teeth that I would see major issues down the road. I brush with an electric toothbrush twice a day and floss once a day and have been seeing a dentist routinely and since not encountered any issues or bleeding at all and it's been so amazing. It's so crazy how kidney issues really affect the teeth.

June 9, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Hi, it is advised to take them and I would not debate that… of course - in most cases there is no consequence - just like there is no consequence to drive without a seatbelt in most cases or eat oysters when pregnant or after transplant, but why risk it???

June 10, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin if your transplant team advises it, absolutely. You should always follow medical advice. I don’t think anyone is debating this with their team. It’s just not all teams are recommending it

June 12, 2023

AliEm14 totally agree with what you said, it does seem like each TP team is different.

June 12, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I believe the best is to speak to your physician prior to dental work. There is always a risk for a bleed and thus allowing bacteria to enter your blood stream.

See the note from the NKF also re when to start going to the dentist again after your surgery (at least three months after surgery).

June 18, 2023

I know when I discuss my LTP w/my dentist he said that it depends on the patients oral health. There r a lot of people that never take care of their teeth, never go to a Dentist until it’s a problem he said they r not TP patients and I would definitely put them on an antibiotic. I have been regular with my dental care my whole life, I had to have a root tip removed and did not have to take antibiotics b/c I have taken care of my oral health.

June 18, 2023
  • Nucci1949Transplant Patient

I was definitely told to make sure to have the dentist give me a prescription for an antibiotic before any procedure. It is usually 2000milagrams 1 hour prior to appointment . It is usually 4 pills of 500 mg. each.

June 26, 2023