Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

Since your transplant, are you always cold?

ChrisaCare Partner
June 1, 2023 in Liver

My husband had a liver transplant in 2019. Before his transplant, he would wear shorts in the snow, he was so warm all the time. Since his transplant, he is always freezing cold! It's 92 degrees today and when I turn the ceiling fan on, he puts on a sweatshirt. Is this a side effect of tacrolimus? Something else?

1 - 14 of 14 Other Answers

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

The opposite for me! And totally due to anemia prior to kidney transplant…

June 1, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi Charisa, Totally the same for me.

June 1, 2023
  • ChrisaCare Partner

Hi - the same meaning you're always cold now?

June 1, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Oops, yes I am always cold like your husband. Pre LTP was so hot natured.

June 1, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

In my case, I believe that my body's thermostat is now messed up, post heart transplant. I can't tolerate too much heat when I'm outside, and I feel cold a lot (indoors & out), even when it's actually pretty warm. I've been known to dress in layers, in order to make necessary adjustments on the go.

June 1, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

i don’t think so! I think I’m actually far better at regulating my body temp post transplant than I ever was pre transplant. If anything I have moments where I either can’t get warm or can’t cool down, but I don’t feel like they’re abnormal

June 1, 2023
  • ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient

I was freezing for almost 8 months before LTP. Afterwards, I have been somewhat normal but still much colder nature than before liver disease. I am especially affected by ceiling fans and air in cars.

June 30, 2023
  • PoisonRose21Transplant Patient

I must be an anomaly! When on Dialysis and pre-transplant (Kidney obviously) I was always cold. I wouldn't even wear shorts during the summer months here. After the transplant, partially due to being on Prednisone permanently for the life of my kidney, but I'm always hot temperature-wise. I can walk around my house when its 60-70 in shorts comfortably, while my family is cold and wants to run the heater. Its quite the drastic change, but kind of good, and kind of strange too!

😋

July 6, 2023
  • Sasha1976Transplant Patient

Yes, I’m always cold. Especially after my transplant. For the first 12 months I was always freezing. Now it’s not as bad, but I still wear a cardigan if it’s 80 degrees outside. The heat is another story. When it’s hot I get nauseous and shaky. It’s weird.

September 8, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

Im BOTH!!!! I feel like im always sweating but also cold??? My fingers and toes are the worst. since kidney failure, my Raynauds Syndrome got so much worse. Im really not looking forward to Winter. Ive been struggling just going from air conditioned places to the outdoors. My toes get tingly, at times in the transition between its sharp and really uncomfortable.

September 16, 2023
  • WorthRoyal8951Transplant Patient

I am always sweating and hot post transplant. Pretransplant I was sitting outside in 90 degree weather with a heavy blanket on. Weird how different the journey can be for different people.

January 27, 2024
  • fern22Transplant Patient

Coming back around to this as things have changed- this was posted at 4 months post transplant, im not 8 months post transplant. I am more often than not running hot. Maybe thats because ive been moving my body more and sweating more lately. I havent experienced rough Raynauds symptoms this winter which is truly a blessing because last winter was terrible. I think this also has to do with my multiple weekly infrared sauna sessions helping with better circulation.

January 28, 2024
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@Melsamm hear hear to the sauna!!

January 28, 2024
  • AmywTransplant Patient

I am freezing all the time unless I have a bedtime hot flash. I live in Florida and have a space heater in my office at work.

February 19, 2024