Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Anti-Rejections medicines that work for some transplant patients and not others

QTwalk20Transplant Patient
June 9, 2023 in Kidney

my name is Quinn Tanner and I am a three year kidney transplant recipient and survivor and post transplant I was not able to metabolize Prograf; so I was able to take a new anti-rejection medication Envarus XR because I am able to metabolize that anti-rejection medication faster; I was an active short and long distance runner before the transplant. Anybody else in the transplant community take Envarus XR

Tagged:

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Hi,

Envarsus is a long-acting prograf (tacrolimus), which enables patients to take the drug once daily vs twice daily. It reduces some side decks and makes it more convenient to manage your transplant! About a third of pts are on it in the US, so you are in good company!

June 10, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Envarsus is an extended release version of Tacrolimus (prograf), and is used by about a third of pts in the US. It is more convenient since it only is taken once a day vs twice a day, and it reduces some side effects such as tremor and head aches and brain fog. Good luck and congrats to your transplant!

June 10, 2023
  • QTwalk20Transplant Patient

Thank you Karin. How long has your transplant been?

June 10, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I’m on advagraf (also a long release tacro) since I wasn’t properly metabolizing prograf either. It’s been working great for me - I’m 3 years out

June 12, 2023
  • PassickTransplant Patient

I was taking Envarsus XD 2x/day. Started having bad side effects 3 months in... tremors and tremendous hair loss. Taking cyclosporine now but will be soon changing to monthly infusion of belatacept. The medicine journey continues.

June 12, 2023
  • coopscadoopTransplant Patient
    June 17, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Hi - I am 14 (first kidney) and 13 (pancreas) years out, and now 2 months out from my second kidney (first kidney failed due to prograf!). Prograf or Tacrolimus causes scarring of the kidney long term and unfortunately Envarsus doesn’t improve that side effect.

June 17, 2023