Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

How much water do you drink as a kidney transplant recipient?

Berriosa1234Transplant Patient
June 13, 2023 in Kidney

Just curious to know about people and their hydration? what do you think is the appropiate amount of water to drink as a transplant patient?

Tagged:

1 - 8 of 8 Other Answers

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I’m liver, so it’s not quite the same, but I definitely feel like I don’t drink enough water. I ended up with kidney stones earlier this year, which was a huge kick towards me actually trying to incentivize myself to drink.

I’m a coffee girl through and through so making the switch is hard, but I find things like hot water in a mug, or water with lemon can really help. Or straws! If I leave my water bottle out with a straw, I find it so much easier to sip when I walk past it or while I’m working. If anyone else has any tips to actually drink more water, I’d love to hear them

June 13, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I drink close to 3L a day. Start my day with a 20oz latte and then switch to water or decaf tea. I have a sparking water at lunch. I force myself (maybe that's a bit strong worded, but pretty accurate) to drink 1L of water before going into work. I know I won't drink enough while I am working. I get another 1L in during the day and then final 1L on my way home from work and during dinner.

Some days I like my water on ice. Other days, like when I am cold, I don't want it iced but room temp. Those days I drink more decaf herbal tea. I like lemon ginger tea. I LOVE ginger.

Sometimes if I know I'm just not getting enough water I'll add a flavor packet to my water but you really have to watch for added sodium in those. I also like fresh lemon or lime or tangerine in my water. Lately I've found myself snacking on watermelon too.

Today, I didn't get enough water in and I sat in the car in the garage to finish my bottle before I went into the house.

June 14, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I enjoy drinking as much as I want! Dialysis posed such restrictions and as a diabetic I often drank enormous amounts so now I enjoy drinking when I want…

I probably drink 2-3liters…

June 14, 2023
  • PabloTransplant Patient

3L/day of Gatorade Zero ( for the electrolytes)

June 21, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Pablo ,I'm hoping you've checked with you transplant team/doctors about Gatorade Zero. In my case, I was specifically told not to consume Gatorade (& other drinks with electrolytes) - the electrolytes could impact the levels in your blood.

Good ole Aqua/Water/H2O is best to stay hydrated at optimum levels.

June 22, 2023
  • PassickTransplant Patient

Does anyone know if coconut water is ok for a transplant patient? THX

June 22, 2023

Thanks - my use of Gatorade is specifically directed by my transplant team because they wanted me to get the electrolytes. They didn't want me to drink plain water. I also take magnesium supplements daily.

June 22, 2023

Thanks - my use of Gatorade is specifically directed by my transplant team because they wanted me to get the electrolytes. They didn't want me to drink plain water. I also take magnesium supplements daily.

June 22, 2023