General — TransplantLyfe

General

What is your favourite way to be in your body?

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
June 23, 2023 in General

Last night I went to a dance class. I’m not a dancer. I am a person who is in love with how it feels to be in my body. 

And as I was dancing and moving, experiencing what it felt like to be in my body in this way, I started crying. 

My body is strong. She’s survived so much. 

Embodiment is the practice of having a body. It’s the profound humanness, a collision of grief and grace and joy and pain and the entire spectrum of humanity in a single being. And I am invited to be its witness. 

I had this vivid memory, 3 years ago in that ICU bed, when all I wanted was to stay alive. Body, breathe. Body, work. Body, every single experience filtered down to my body. 

And then I returned to this moment, my body leaping through the air in this dance class, remembering that all of this is what being human looks like and what a gift. What a gift to notice my own humanity. What a gift to continually return to this practice of having a body. 

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

What a wonderful way to honor your gift of life. I think it is so important that we take the time to really stop and have these thoughts about how far we've come with our bodies. Its easy to compare ourselves to others that have not have the same complications that we have had. We live such busy lives that it is easy to forget.

I have similar thoughts when I am doing yoga or out on a hike. Being able to stop and have a grateful moment for my body and nature. Its also empowers me to keep going and continue to be strong.

July 16, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

My favorite ways to be in my body/ embodiment practices are through dancing, yoga, walking, hiking, slacklining, paddleboarding, skin care, and dressing to impress myself. Dance has always been a huge part of my life. I did competitive cheer, hip hop, ballet, and tap when i was younger. I still do a lot of hip hop as well as intuitive,ecstatic dancing and definitely somatic healing practices. I practice aerial, pole, and using flow props such as fans and hula hoops!

July 19, 2023
  • coopscadoopTransplant Patient

Running in the early morning, through empty streets or trails with the early rustling of life.

July 19, 2023