Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Does anyone have Brain fog after transplant and also while on dialysis?

Berriosa1234Transplant Patient
June 25, 2023 in Kidney

How do you deal with Brain fog?

Tagged:

1 - 4 of 4 Other Answers

• fern22Transplant Patient

On dialysis, ABSOLUTELY. I am still making my way out of the fog. Today is 2 months post transplant for me. I do think, however, the fog is different on dialysis compared to transplant. It was pretty bad on dialysis whereas now, I feel it has more to do with the fact my nervous system is healing and im finding a place of balance and homeostasis within, therefore causing exhaustion.

July 10, 2023
  • QTwalk20Transplant Patient

I remember brain jog being pretty bad when on dialysis. The blood vessels in your brain are restricted and I remember bad headaches and bloody noses. I remember having the dry heaves. I had edema in my ankles, face, and around my stomach. Hand tremors and hand cramps due to all the anti-rejection medications. Everybody symptoms of Kidney Failure is different for everyone; depends on the individual. I was an avid runner before getting sick and I gained forty pounds of weight all water retention; retaining excess fluid weight; when I started PD Dialysis in the clinic training with the dialysis nurse Tiffany; the dialysis got a lot of the excess fluid off very quickly. Being on in-home PD dialysis for seven months in 2019 from January 2019 up the morning of the transplant on Thursday 1 August 2019 at the Methodist Speciality and Transplant Hospital in San Antonio, TX was quite the experience!

July 10, 2023
  • WarriorLady61Care Partner

My mom had bad brain fog before transplant but it was due to getting dialysis and also her liver wasn’t working either so she had hepatic encephalopathy. Post transplant her brain fog comes and goes, she gets frustrated but she’s also in her 60’s and her recovery may just take longer with her brain fog. Other than that she is pretty well and lively and getting back to her normal self with her duties and walking around

July 13, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I don't remember having brain fog prior to transplant. I started noticing "brain fog" at about year 15 post transplant. I assumed I was not "exercising" my brain enough. But I have found it gets worse when I do too much. Like my brain is overstimulated or extra fatigued. I have been able to curb it with meditation and going for a walk. Or I am just not noticing it as much when I do those activities.

July 15, 2023