General — TransplantLyfe

General

PTSD

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
July 6, 2023 in General

Has anyone else experienced ptsd after transplant or dialysis? I had my whole bathroom redone right before my transplant - smart - right?? Well, I used the new bathtub after my dialysis sessions and had a kind of a ritual - scented candle, nice music and bubble bath. I was beat and felt iffy after the sessions and the bath soothed me. Now however, I can’t look at that bath without being reminded of dianthus, and even worse is actually taking a bath…

i wonder how to get past this without ripping up the tiles?

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I was diagnosed with PTSD post transplant due to the transplant itself and all the medical experiences I had pre-transplant.

one of the things that has been really helpful for me is working with a therapist who is trained in EMDR and eye switching therapies. Talk therapy did nothing for me until I found a way in through my body.

there needs to be far more emphasis on PTSD and trauma post transplant, and patients deserve mental health care to be a bigger part of the system as a whole

July 6, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Totally agree @AliEm14 - the person I spoke to over the weekend is a trained therapist with emphasis on breaking the spell.

https://meghanriordanjarvis.com/

July 6, 2023