General — TransplantLyfe

General

Balancing Health, Community, and Passions

fern22Transplant Patient
July 24, 2023 in General

How do you balance taking care of your health while pursuing your passions and interests?

At times, I tend to find myself overwhelmed with all the things I need to take care of in regards to my health; physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. Then to add on top of all that, I am learning to balance friendships, my relationship, kids, and family. As well as my own business and all that entails; virtually and in-person.

How do you find the balance in your life?

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

My favourite advice I ever heard regarding balance is that balance is an illusion. If someone tells you they have balance, they're probably lying. The truth is no one can stay in balance all the time, that's just how life works. We're in a constant state of flux and flow.

There are seasons of my life where one area takes priority, and that's just the way it is. I've found breaking my life down into priorities, and doing this seasonally, has helped. What are practical things I can do to make sure I'm taking care of my health? What are practical things I can do to try and nurture my relationships, and what relationships are important enough to me to be prioritized? It's also turned into I have to be willing to let things go, and often.

I've stopped trying to chase balance and started trying to find alignment. What feels in alignment with who I am and what I need in this current season?

July 25, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

This is a really interesting perspective! I suppose my understanding of 'balance' is a little different but I deeply resonate with what you're saying. I've always looked at having balance as this idea of turning inward and asking myself what I need while also having the awareness of my goals and desires. I can find the balance between rest and action by being in alignment with myself. I can find the balance mentally and emotionally by allowing myself to feel, identify, and embody emotions and still be able to be consistent in other ways. As an entrepreneur, I have to find that balance of honoring myself and where I'm at while also honoring my work and my commitment.

July 25, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I too get overwhelmed with everything that I have going on in my life. I really try to prioritize anything that has to do with my health first. It's easy to push off doctor appointments to do anything else but sit and wait at an appointment. Especially when you are feeling just fine.

In order to keep my life organized I have EVERYTHING on the calendar on my phone. I plan out errands, medication prep, phone calls I need to make, yoga time, meditation time, meal prep etc. I try not to wear myself out by doing everything in one day. I even plan days to just do nothing. So I can regroup and recharge.

I find it much better to list everything out and plan ahead. It helps me unclutter my mind. It's like I put the stress onto the calendar. I think it's really important to make time for yourself. It is very important to our health to have days to unwind and do the hobbies we enjoy that keep the light sparked in us.

July 29, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Amen 😊💚

July 29, 2023
  • coopscadoopTransplant Patient

Try scheduling (literally blocking your schedule if needed) a block of time with you at least once a week, preferably more. You may think you need the hour for other things, but I guarantee you will gain efficiency, clarity, and air in your week by taking away something for others and giving you space just for you. I'm a psychologist and my first appointment of the day is always with myself.

August 3, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@coopscadoop I love that visual of your first appointment of the day being with yourself. I work freelance so I set my own schedule a lot of the time, and I also physically block out a chunk of time in my planner every day to be with myself

August 3, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

I love this. The first hour sometimes HOURS have definitely been for myself. I actually just talked about this in my recent therapy session. Having that time everyday upon waking is so crucial for how I handle the rest of the day and all emotions that may rise. Im also someone who THRIVES on routine and schedule and thats how I am also able to find ease in many other facets of life, especially as an entrepreneur.

August 7, 2023