General — TransplantLyfe

General

Quote from the new Barbie movie

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
July 28, 2023 in General

Has anybody else seen the new Barbie movie?

There's this quote in the movie that I feel like really relates to transplant life. I shared it to my personal social media this morning, and would love to discuss. I think there's this idea in the transplant community, and we touched on this a little bit in our support group last week, that transplant recipients are just supposed to be grateful. We're not supposed to complain about how hard it is, we're not supposed to show fear or weakness. It's an impossible standard. Has anybody else experienced that? What are your thoughts?

" always stand out and always be grateful. But never forget that the system is rigged. So find a way to acknowledge that but also always be grateful. You have to never get old, never be rude, never show off, never be selfish, never fall down, never fail, never show fear, never get out of line. It’s too hard! It’s too contradictory and nobody gives you a medal or says thank you! And it turns out in fact that not only are you doing everything wrong, but also everything is your fault."

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I have not seen the Barbie movie yet. It looks really cute though.

We can always be grateful but have all the other feelings and emotions too. Over the years I have felt so many different emotions. Transplant has the ability to make us feel all sorts of ways. I have learned to honor my feelings that are anything but grateful and just try not to live in those negative emotions. There have been plenty of times I have cried alone or been angry that this is my life. It is not the life I necessarily imagined for myself.

I think it is important for us to be gentle with ourselves and the complex emotions that we feel. 💗

July 29, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Yes AliEm I feel like if I get upset or am just having a bad day, feeling angry about things mad at life’s struggles . After I feel all these emotions I put my self on a guilt trip, how dare I act that way I was given a second chance at life, their r folks waiting for this new gift of life. I cry I pull myself back together and tell myself how grateful I should be. 💚💚

Jeanmarie yes you r quite right thank you❤️

July 29, 2023