Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

How long did it take for your gfr to improve after the kidney transplant ?

daebbyTransplant Patient
August 1, 2023 in Kidney

I recently had my kidney transplant I am almost at the 2 month mark and my gfr is 35 and it’s been 35 for the past two lab results from blood work. Is this normal for it to get higher slowly ?

1 - 4 of 4 Other Answers

• coopscadoopTransplant Patient

So many factors are at play here, depending on the organ you received, medications, and how your body is responding. I can only say do what is within your control and take as best care of yourself as you can and listen to you medical team if you trust them. My GFR is still going up 18 months post transplant as I'm caring for myself better and my body is more able!

August 3, 2023
  • beachladyCare Partner

My husband is about at one year mark on kidney transplant. His GFR runs from 42-54. It must be ok, the transplant doctors do not remark on it. He is currently doing very well. When the creatinine goes up, gfr goes down.

September 21, 2023
  • JayTransplant Patient

I just went for my four year post kidney transplant check up… It seems like my kidney function is improving. My GFR is going higher…. I spoke to a man the other day, who has been living with his transplant, 37 years… he is also a very well-known advocate, and runs an organization to help other people get to transplant. He’s also a nurse… He says the body becomes more accustomed over time to the new kidney…. To its new home environment.

September 22, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

So much is going on with your body. Especially the first year after the transplant. Be gentle with yourself. The important thing is it is working. Just be very diligent with getting your labs so your team can identify any potential problems.

September 22, 2023