General — TransplantLyfe

General

How to Make a Killing - Blood, Death and Dollars in American Medicine

TServoldTransplant Patient
August 9, 2023 in General

I keep seeing and hearing all about this book. I am excited to read it; I just added it to my Amazon cart, and was wondering who else has read it?

https://wwnorton.com/books/9780393866513

1 - 10 of 10 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I just finished it! Amazingly well written and thought-provoking. A must read for anyone in the kidney or transplant communities, but also a reflection of the cold reality of the US healthcare system….

August 9, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

I cant wait to read this!!!

Right now im going between The Alchemy Of Illness by Kat Duff and How Death Becomes Life: Notes From A Transplant Surgeon by Dr Joshua Mezrich.

August 10, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I just bought this book. Sounds so fascinating. I am going to start reading it tomorrow. I will update you when I finish the book and let you know my thoughts about it.

August 10, 2023
  • coopscadoopTransplant Patient

Cannot wait! Another WINNER for any chronic illness patients or understanding their experience is The Invisible Kingdom by Meghan O'Rourke https://www.nationalbook.org/books/the-invisible-kingdom-reimagining-chronic-illness/

August 11, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'm reading how death becomes life right now! I believe @Jillbest recommended it to me a while ago?

I find I have to be really careful when I'm reading transplant related books or articles because I get overwhelmed so easily. It's so important to be aware of our own journeys and capacity as we navigate topics like this, and to continually be checking in with our own nervous system states. I love personal stories, but anything information heavy I find myself being really cautious of.

August 11, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

This! Between Two Kingdoms by Suleika Jaouad is another really great one. I did a course a while ago on medical narratives, and the importance of stories being told from a patient's perspective. There is such power in the reclamation and retelling in our stories, and I've found that not only through writing my own story but in reading others as well

August 11, 2023
  • Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

I had the opportunity to meet with Dr Mezrich, He has some great insight in the transplant space. especially with xenotransplantation.

August 11, 2023
  • Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

I also just purchased this new book, When I complete it I will add my comments as well.

August 11, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

Should we do a live book club discussion?!? Seems like maybe a few of us are excited to read this and then discuss it?

Or, do you all prefer commenting and discussing online vs live?

August 12, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I spoke to Tom Mueller today! Wow what a a journalist- truly passionate and intelligent

August 16, 2023