Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Biopsy

TServoldTransplant Patient
August 16, 2023 in Kidney

I have been recruited to participate in a clinical study, through the hospital that my transplant was done at. One of the options in the study is to have a biopsy of the transplanted kidney. Has anyone had a biopsy done? What was your experience like? I have a discussion scheduled with the study group, and my transplant team, but I am just curious what others experiences have been.

Tagged:

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I've had over 10 biopsies of the transplanted kidney. I do love that several of them were able to identify potential rejection. However, they are one of the most uncomfortable tests I have ever done. I can't have them without being put under with a little anesthesia. One doctor hit the wrong spot and I couldn't urinate. When I finally could I was urinating blood for days. I thought for sure I would lose the kidney. Fortunately, I did not. I usually opt for the new blood test that gives similar results. I will only do a biopsy if it is absolutely necessary. But that is just my experience.

August 16, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I have had maybe three biopsy of my first kidney and they were all ok - some pain after - mostly due to the gas that the biopsy triggered! So much easier than biopsy of the native kidneys …

August 17, 2023
  • KouimetCare Partner

Both my children who have had kidney transplants have had biopsies. IT was a good thing they are done routinely at our transplant program as rejection was detected with both kids when they had a biopsy even though they had no symptoms of rejection at the time.

Both kids complained of cramping but it was not too bad. They had to lie still for several hours with a sandbag sitting on the biopsy site. When my son was a baby he was put under for each biopsy he had, but since he has been about 6 years old we have only done conscious sedation. Our doctors let us film it as they explained what they were doing so our kids could see it after and I took lots of photos as well. It helped them understand what was happening and they like to see what is being done to their body.

September 18, 2023