General — TransplantLyfe

General

Bailed on school event…

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
September 9, 2023 in General

When the event turned from outside gathering and into a larger indoor gathering of adults who have little kids, I balked… so sad but what should I do? As a single mother I can’t risk being sick and especially so close to my transplant with meds still pretty high… thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

That is a tough decision. I probably would have not attended. I think playing it safe right now until you are further out from surgery is a good idea. Covid and RSV seem to be making the rounds right now.

September 9, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I agree. I think you made the right decision. So hard. Kids are just naturally germy. I am very cautious about the germs I expose myself to. My kiddo understands that sometimes I just can't do it, and I'm certain your kiddo does too. Staying healthy and missing one thing allows you many more things to attend.

September 9, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

I couldn’t agree more! A lot of people don’t understand why I am on disability, well the last 20 years before my transplant I was a special education aid in our public schools. Our school are full inclusive so I was in a classroom of 20 to 25 with a one on one student. I was very hands on with my special needs student ,as you can imagine, so I can’t return to work. My plans were to return but then Covid hit the same time I had my transplant so I decided not to return to school. We each have to do what is right for us.

September 9, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Deb💯agree, Karin I would hope that the school group would understand your situation. Deb like you I was not able to return to work either, I had my LTP when Covid was rampant. We have to take care of us.💚💪

September 9, 2023
  • coopscadoopTransplant Patient

Not the easiest choice here, but doing the right thing for your health is the right thing for everybody.

September 9, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Thanks everyone! So nice to feel supported and last night my daughter and I watched pippi longstocking and had some ice-cream instead )). She was happy I stayed back - and I hope the parents still will accept me!

September 9, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Karin they better😊😊 so glad u had a nice night with your daughter 🍦🍦 she will rember this special time w/mom

September 9, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I don’t know what I would have done in this case. Ultimately I feel like you have to do what’s best for you and your daughter.

@Deb i also left my career in teaching during the pandemic/post transplant, and never looked back. I still miss it from time to time but know I made the right choice for me. I’ll still do larger indoor events masked if it’s something that’s really important to me, but I’m finding most things aren’t that important and a movie night in with ice cream sounds like a much better idea to me anyway 😉

September 11, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

AliEm14

I’m headed next week to a First Responders conference in Hampton Virginia. I’m guessing I’ll see around 200+ people. I plan to attend a small meeting and a memorial service but most of the time I will be enjoying outside activities. I do get nervous and I will take mask with me and of course plenty of hand sanitizer. This has always been an important conference for my husband and to us it’s like a family reunion. I just hope we avoid all the bad germs going around.

September 11, 2023
  • KouimetCare Partner

I agree with you 100%. Our family has two transplant recipients and we are caring for elderly family members. We are ALWAYS conscious of our environment and surroundings. We have experienced heartbreak by not being able to participate in activities that we really wanted to (including a family wedding and two funerals) however the risks were not worth taking. We also experienced hospital stays from illnesses spreading and we made ourselves crazy thinking of how or if it could have been avoided.

I think the best plan is one you make with your own family and you are the one who knows best. Trust your gut.

September 18, 2023