General — TransplantLyfe

General

Hair Loss Post-Transplant

fern22Transplant Patient
September 19, 2023 in General

I’m 4 months out from transplant & Ive started experiencing the hair loss from meds.

This is definitely hitting me on an emotional level because I just adore my hair. And hair is energy! But that’s another topic of discussion!

I know i’m due for a haircut and that’s definitely playing a part, however, I’m curious how some of you have navigated/managed this? Have you taken any vitamins/ supplements? Scalp massages? Hair masks/ oiling?

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• swigganTransplant Patient

Hello,

I am 4 years into my transplant, but haven't experienced hair loss. However, my hair growth before transplant was much better compared to post transplant.

It is possibly the medications. I spoke to a few other transplant patients and it seems each individual experiences their own longterm side effects.

September 19, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

We've had a few discussions like this in the past - if you search hair loss as a key word maybe some of those discussions would have some beneficial information?

I lost a ton of hair immediately post transplant, and actually ended up eliminating shampoo and conditioner all together. I did the no 'poo method, incorporated scalp massage into my routine and got rid of all heat tools. It took a while but my hair did grow back, and now looks better than ever.

I know some people have had success with biotin. It never worked for me - I found focusing on whole food nutrition and really making sure I was hitting those was more successful

September 19, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

This will come and go for me over the 17 years of having a transplant. I love my hair too. I usually see it really thinning near the front sides. I get so sad when I see it. Even though I might not be well on the inside I like to pretend to look normal on the outside. I try to wash my hair at the most twice a week. Over the last couple of years, I have been using a hair mask and hair oil from a brand called Mielle. It's really filled in front of little sparse areas.

September 19, 2023
  • StarboobearTransplant Patient

I started to lose my hair about the same time as you. I was devastated and frustrated in the beginning. I had long beautiful hair, although being so sick before my transplant had definitely taken it’s toll on my hair and skin.

The stress of finding my hair everywhere and it falling out in my hands was worse then the thought of loosing it all together for me.

I bought a set of hair clippers and let my daughter have fun. We had a blast and laughed through the whole thing making funny styles and taking pictures. When it was all gone it felt amazing and so freeing.

I kept it real short “buzzed” all summer and when I stopped finding little hairs all over my pillow case I then let it grow. I now have curly hair and love it. It’s healthy and fun. And I’m not scared to shave it off again if it ever comes to that.

September 19, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

Thanks Ali! I couldn't figure out how to search keywords on my phone at the time so I just started a new one! Lol. Definitely went on my computer and searched and have found amazing tips. Especially yours that we have discussed ;)

September 20, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

Oh my gosh, i commend you! Thats bold and brave! I think sometimes I 'hide' behind my hair. It's absolutely an attachment I have and a lot of identity behind it.

September 20, 2023
  • JayTransplant Patient

I was already bald on top … but I wondered why I only had to go to the barber for side and back trim less frequently …

September 20, 2023